Experiences running vBulletin on Dreamhost/Converting from SMF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiences running vBulletin on Dreamhost/Converting from SMF

I have two questions, actually. I have been running an SMF forum on Dreamhost for the past few years and have been relatively satisfied with the host. Although the servers are down more often than I'd like, their tech support has always been very responsive and able to get things going again. If I were to switch from SMF to vBulletin, is there anything about vBulletin that might make it more difficult to run on a Dreamhost server?

Mine is a regional forum that's generally not hugely busy. Once, I had more than two hundred users on at the same time (not counting spiders), but more typically there will be fewer than ten on at a time.

In other words, I'm okay with the service that I get from Dreamhost running SMF. Are things likely to get worse if I were to convert to vBulletin?

The other question has to do with converting from SMF to vBulletin. I know that vBulletin has a conversion utility for SMF, but I am trying to determine the likelihood that things will go right. How many of you have had trouble with doing this?

It is very important to me that I not lose my data. I understand that things do go wrong, and that there can be no promises, but I'd like to know what the chances are that I'll be able to make this switch without crashing my forum?

We have an importer to import SMF to vBulletin and support for the import is available.

Details about our importer script can be found here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex

Note: Passwords are not imported from SMF.

In terms of hosting, vBulletin requires a web server that includes PHP (minimum version 4.3.3) and MySQL (minimum 4.0.16) installed. As long as you choose a host that meets these requirements you will be able to install and run our software.

Most credible hosts now support both PHP and MySQL, and can run our software. We do not make official recommendations, but we do have a hosting review forum here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

You can also look at http://www.webhostingtalk.com, an independent review site. Sometimes you will find hosting specials there that aren't available elsewhere on the web.
    Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

I've run vBulletin on a Dreamhost account since the end of 2005- I've never had any problems with the software. Although, if you'd like to check just to be 100% sure, run vbtest.php from this thread.

I ran the conversion from phpBB 2.x- but I assume the process is similar. Back up your databases and your files before you do anything- because in the worst case scenario, you can just restore it and continue on as you were before.

Then simply go step by step- it's as easy as clicking the "go" button.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X