Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlackGarden
    replied
    This is fantastic, and I just spotted those "multi-quote" buttons too. Thanks for all the input, and I'll definitely try that 24 hour demo. Looks like it's time for a donation drive :P

Leave a comment:

• cheat-master30
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackGarden View Post
    I'm currently running a forum on phpBB, but am considering moving it to vBulletin (I understand that vB can also convert a current phpBB board...?) as I spotted some desirable features that are only available on vB.

But I want to know if vB really would fit all my site's needs before I start a donation drive to help me buy the license. So, first off, this is a list of features and mods that are really important to my users and the functionality of the forum:

* Advanced BB Code - in particular my users like to be able to embed flash applets and YouTube videos in their posts, and there is also an ImageShack pop-in with this mod which many users find handy.
    Is possible with custom BB code by default.
    * Portal - I like to have a front page which I can use to highlight certain posts, although I am not happy with the portal I'm using right now - could vB provide a better portal? For example, I'd like to be able to pick posts and users to feature on the front page. Can this be done?
    Can be done with vB Advanced.
    * "Cash" - users currently earn "cash" by posting, which I then manually deduct from their accounts in exchange for advanced forum features - I'd like a way of making this more automated... is there a vB feature or mod that would offer this?
    vB Credits offers the cash mod, vB Commerce and Customiser will eventually offer things to spend the points on.
    [quote]
    * Custom titles & colours - currently my donators can set their custom title, but in order to get a coloured username, another donation feature, they must PM me and I have to do it manually - again, could vB offer a better way of doing this?[/quote[

Can be possibly done by default with paid subscriptions.
    * Quick reply - none of my users could live without the quick reply box, with BB Code and smiley buttons by it!
    This is a default feature.
    * Referrals/invites - Currently we have a referrals system, and I understand vB does too... can vB offer a way to integrate this with the "cash" somehow?
    I think vB Credits integrates with the default referral system.

I think that's pretty much it. In addition to that, I would like the following features on the admin side of things:
    * A way to easily manage the forum's FAQs.
    All FAQ items can be edited through the Admin CP by default.

* Downloads & evaluations - my users can post their own Sims 2 and 1 custom content creations to share in a special area of the board, and have them rated by other users. It's not a very tidy way of doing it, does vB have a way of supporting this better?
    At least two download mods at vBulletin.org offer exactly this.
    * New threads require approving, but not new posts - currently on phpBB, where I have content moderation on a forum, all new threads and new posts must be approved by a moderator. I'd like to be able to change this so that new threads need approving, but new posts don't.
    I think default permissions might allow this.
    * Mod installation - I don't mind if some of the above features can only be enabled with a mod, but please please tell me that installing mods on vB will be quicker than on phpBB3!
    For most mods, no file editing is needed. Nothing I said needs editing PHP files, just importing an XML product file, uploading some HTML or PHP files (maybe, depends on mod) and editing some templates (depends on modification).

There are probably also other features I've forgotten that I wanted, and maybe I didn't explain some parts very well, but if you have any thoughts or experiences with the above that you'd like to share with me, please do! I'm almost certain vB will be better than phpBB, I just need to be sure that it will also do everything I need it to.
    vBulletin should be perfect for your needs, and vBulletin.org has all the necessary mods that aren't default features, although most of your needs are in the core product by default.

Leave a comment:

• Loco.M
    replied
    yes, vbulletin can do everything you requested, you might have to add a few hacks, but nothing major

Leave a comment:

• Captain_Kirk76
    replied
    Everything you said is possible, or possible with modifications.
    The vBulletin mod system is simple, you usually just upload a simple file, and then vBulletin just hooks itself up. (Some mods do need very simple manual edits though)

Leave a comment:

• AdrianH
    replied
    Why don't you take vB for a test drive ?

24 hour demo is here >> http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php

Leave a comment:

• BlackGarden
    started a topic Is vB for me?

Is vB for me?

I'm currently running a forum on phpBB, but am considering moving it to vBulletin (I understand that vB can also convert a current phpBB board...?) as I spotted some desirable features that are only available on vB.

But I want to know if vB really would fit all my site's needs before I start a donation drive to help me buy the license. So, first off, this is a list of features and mods that are really important to my users and the functionality of the forum:

* Advanced BB Code - in particular my users like to be able to embed flash applets and YouTube videos in their posts, and there is also an ImageShack pop-in with this mod which many users find handy.
    * Portal - I like to have a front page which I can use to highlight certain posts, although I am not happy with the portal I'm using right now - could vB provide a better portal? For example, I'd like to be able to pick posts and users to feature on the front page. Can this be done?
    * "Cash" - users currently earn "cash" by posting, which I then manually deduct from their accounts in exchange for advanced forum features - I'd like a way of making this more automated... is there a vB feature or mod that would offer this?
    * Custom titles & colours - currently my donators can set their custom title, but in order to get a coloured username, another donation feature, they must PM me and I have to do it manually - again, could vB offer a better way of doing this?
    * Quick reply - none of my users could live without the quick reply box, with BB Code and smiley buttons by it!
    * Referrals/invites - Currently we have a referrals system, and I understand vB does too... can vB offer a way to integrate this with the "cash" somehow?

I think that's pretty much it. In addition to that, I would like the following features on the admin side of things:
    * A way to easily manage the forum's FAQs.
    * Downloads & evaluations - my users can post their own Sims 2 and 1 custom content creations to share in a special area of the board, and have them rated by other users. It's not a very tidy way of doing it, does vB have a way of supporting this better?
    * New threads require approving, but not new posts - currently on phpBB, where I have content moderation on a forum, all new threads and new posts must be approved by a moderator. I'd like to be able to change this so that new threads need approving, but new posts don't.
    * Mod installation - I don't mind if some of the above features can only be enabled with a mod, but please please tell me that installing mods on vB will be quicker than on phpBB3!

There are probably also other features I've forgotten that I wanted, and maybe I didn't explain some parts very well, but if you have any thoughts or experiences with the above that you'd like to share with me, please do! I'm almost certain vB will be better than phpBB, I just need to be sure that it will also do everything I need it to.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X