Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-Sale: I'm overwhelmed with hosting solutions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Sale: I'm overwhelmed with hosting solutions!

Hey mates!

I have not yet purchased a vBulletin license. I'm in the process of preparing my MMORPG GuildPortal community at kingmakersguild.com to move to a vBulletin solution. I've been reviewing many different hosts over the past few days in order to prepare for my license purchase. I'm getting overwhelmed and could really use a friendly suggestion.

Right now, we have about 35 registered members, and during peak times we see about 10 users online at once. I don't expect our guild to grow anymore than 50-100 registered members in the long run.

Here are some of the current hosting solutions I'm looking at:

MediaTemple.net
    BlueHost.com
    ASmallOrange.com

I know MediaTemple.net is really nice and reliable, but comes at a cost (starting @ 20/month). I've heard some good things about BlueHost and ASmallOrange too, including their lower monthly prices. My question is, am I paying too much @ 20/month with MediaTemple.net? Or do you think their Grid-Service technology is really worth it?

Any other tips or pointers are welcome. Things with GuildPortal have been pretty simple. All I've really ever had to do is a bit of CSS editing. I expect a challenge here, but I expect to make a fantastic website for my members. If you recommend one of these hosts, could you perhaps explain why you recommended them? Thanks.

Cheers,
    Gundrik

EDIT: Yikes, just found another list of good hosts here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/web-ho...shared-hosting
    What to doo... -_-
    Last edited by Gundrik; Tue 15 Jul '08, 1:31pm.

From reputation and as a great starter host, ASmallOrange.com would be best. Friends have used them and do like them quite a lot.

BlueHost.com - One of my friends use them and from what I've seen/experienced, they're not bad... Just their hosting plan is discouraging (no profiting business can guarantee unlimited quantities).

Comment

Originally posted by GHOwner View Post
      From reputation and as a great starter host, ASmallOrange.com would be best. Friends have used them and do like them quite a lot.

BlueHost.com - One of my friends use them and from what I've seen/experienced, they're not bad... Just their hosting plan is discouraging (no profiting business can guarantee unlimited quantities).
      Thanks for your input GHOwner. For a community of my size, what's a good starting limit for bandwith space? 10GB? 25GB? 60GB? We've gotten roughly 300,000 page views in about half a year.

Comment

10 GB should be more than sufficient.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
          10 GB should be more than sufficient.
          Thanks Wayne. Our community just finished raising the funds last night. We're all very excited about moving to vBulletin. Time to move things forward!

EDIT: Do you guys think it's necessary to purchase a Dedicated IP Address for SSL ($2.00)? It's an option in the small package at ASmallOrange. Still learning here!
          Last edited by Gundrik; Tue 15 Jul '08, 3:19pm.

Comment

SSL stands for Secure Socket Layer. You only really need this for selling goods and services on your site. It would probably not provide much of a benefit to a guild based website.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X