Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up test forum on local machine for testing

Hi all,

I've got a few questions regarding setting up a vBulletin forum on a local machine for testing purposes. I saw in another thread someone making reference to creating a second "test" forum on the same server that the actual forum was hosted on, but in a different, protected directory. I'm wondering if it's at all possible to have an instance running on my local computer rather than on the webserver which would be geographically located overseas from where I live?

I figure this would be useful for testing where I wanted to quickly try out tweaks and so on and so forth because it would operate faster than performing the same operations via the Internet on the webhost server.

I'm looking for peoples experiences/opinions of whether this can be or not and why/why not it is a good idea to do it this way versus having a second "test" forum set up on the same webserver hosting the actual forum.

Cheers, Bryce.

You can have your test copy running anywhere... same conditions (testvb foldername, and password protected folder) applies. If you want it on your local computer, you will need to install a webserver software and database software on your local computer. If you do not want to get down with all the nasty configurations, Apache Friends have a XAMPP software which configures apache, mysql, php and other stuff for you automatically, which you can use.
    Best Regards,
    Andy Huang

Comment

Yes, who are vBulletin to tell you what you cant and can run on your own localhost.. I suggest WAMP Server, its like PHP Triad but has a right click menu near your windows time AND supports Vista and has PHP5, Lame etc.. really good

Comment

Originally posted by aladawi View Post
        Yes, who are vBulletin to tell you what you cant and can run on your own localhost..
        We are the software developer and licensor, doing things against the license agreement can and will cause license to be revoked. Brycestro is simply checking whether or not it is against the license agreement to do so, so his license doesn't get revoked
        Best Regards,
        Andy Huang

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Now that I know it's fine to do, is there any reasons for/against running the test instance on a local machine versus running it on a remote webserver?

Thanks again, cheers, Bryce.

Comment

For: you can test things while you're offline, this is particularily useful if you are on a laptop and are always on the go like me. You can quickly download a bunch of mods before losing connection, and test them while you're on the bus.

Against: Running it locally would mean you need to setup webserver, mysql server etc. locally. These things will take away some (very little compare to resource hungry gaming apps and others) resource away from your system, so if your system is old, or otherwise slow. Also, you'd need to figure out how to install, configure, and manage the server stuff yourself for your local test site... we cannot help you with server configuration or things of that nature.
            Best Regards,
            Andy Huang

Comment

alrighty, i'm reasonably capable technically so I think i'll go ahead and set up a local instance, even if there is initial pain during the setup it should pay off. Cheers, Bryce.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X