Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweaky
    replied
    While we're obviously biased on vB here, I'd say either would suffice. It comes down to how busy the forums will be.

Leave a comment:

• Dilly
    replied
    To be honest, there is little to no difference between the two. It's more a case of what features you have running that determines it. You can reduce server load by removing any of the features that are resource heavy, eg. who's online etc.

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMatthias View Post
    But now soon I'm about to run a game server with a dedicated server and the forum will be hosted on the same server as well. As we want as much memory, CPU usage, and MySQL processes available for the game server, we need the forum that uses up the LEAST amount of these resources so the game will run smoother and better.
    memory, CPU usage, and MySQL processes=power

You do need on your dedicated server the power to be used for the games?
    Compared to them your forum would need little power.
    Do you like vB? Choose it.
    Do you like some other software? Choose it.

Leave a comment:

• TheMatthias
    started a topic Invision Power Board vs. vBulletin

Invision Power Board vs. vBulletin

Okay I know this is going to bring some biased arguments here, but please please please try and stick with the facts instead of your biased opinion. Now I've been an Invision Power Board fan since it was the very first forum I ever worked with and I understand how to use it with my eyes closed. Not only did it have a somewhat more organized management system, it also had well... better skins than vBulletin as well. But I have to say that although the forums I mainly ran and worked out were Invision Power Board, I once did run a site with vBulletin and it actually was pretty good! Security wise it was stronger and there were plenty of efficient modifications to install on it. However, one big downside was that the majority of vBulletin skins sucked. I don't exactly know how to make one of my own, nor did I want the generic skins that EVERYONE uses from Transverse Styles, eXtremepixels, and you know the rest. Basically any skin that wasn't from Transverse Styles or eXtremepixels sucked, or I saw a good one but there was no available download for it because it was a rare skin or that it was some kind of exclusive.

But now soon I'm about to run a game server with a dedicated server and the forum will be hosted on the same server as well. As we want as much memory, CPU usage, and MySQL processes available for the game server, we need the forum that uses up the LEAST amount of these resources so the game will run smoother and better. From what I've heard and read so far (ignoring as many biased arguments as possible), vBulletin would be better for this, however I haven't really gotten any concrete evidence to support either side yet. So can anyone tell me which one would be better for this case? vBulletin or Invision Power Board?

P.S. Please don't suggest using another forum like phpBB, SMF, or MyBB. We've already decided we're going to buy a forum license for either IPB or vB. I just need to see which one would be best fit for our situation.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X