Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some questions about buying a vbulletin board

hi

first off i want to apologise to anyone who might get annoyed at me for being very dim-witted

this is gonna be my first time making a forum, im a complete novist so i have a couple of questions i wanna ask so that i could understand vbulletin more

well i said my first, my second actually

1. right now im using a free forum server (ipb)
    i've just recently set it up and have got a few members
    is there a way i can move it from the ipb server to the vbulletin server withot losing members and stuff and is it free?

2. the price of the boards are written in $, can someone translate it to english pounds?

3. if i buy an owned license, will i have to renew it every year and how much would that be?

4. is there any extra hidden charges anywere that will pop up suddenly for any reasons?

i did read the instructions of buying and the pricing but i did not understand it properly

5. i was reading around in this section and i read that mods arent free? do u mean if i promote a member to become a moderator on the forum i will have to charge them or they will charge me?

6. i've seen alot of vbulletin forums ad they have things like 'thanks' button, reputation points system, member profiles (friends list) etc
    are these all free or will i have to pay for that too?

thank u!
    Last edited by serenesi; Wed 18 Jun '08, 8:32am.

Originally posted by serenesi View Post
    hi

first off i want to apologise to anyone who might get annoyed at me for being very dim-witted

this is gonna be my first time making a forum, im a complete novist so i have a couple of questions i wanna ask so that i could understand vbulletin more

well i said my first, my second actually

1. right now im using a free forum server (ipb)
    i've just recently set it up and have got a few members
    is there a way i can move it from the ipb server to the vbulletin server withot losing members and stuff and is it free?

As far as i know you wont be able to transfer but if you have only a few members just tell them where the new site is. It is not free.

2. the price of the boards are written in $, can someone translate it to english pounds?

If you go to the buy screen again you should see a little drop down menu where you can choose your currency.

3. if i buy an owned license, will i have to renew it every year and how much would that be?

You wont have to but you wont be able to update your board.

4. is there any extra hidden charges anywere that will pop up suddenly for any reasons?

No there isnt.
    i did read the instructions of buying and the pricing but i did not understand it properly

5. i was reading around in this section and i read that mods arent free? do u mean if i promote a member to become a moderator on the forum i will have to charge them or they will charge me?

I dont know where you read this but there is thousands of mods and they are free. They are on www.vbulletin.org.

6. i've seen alot of vbulletin forums ad they have things like 'thanks' button, reputation points system, member profiles (friends list) etc
    are these all free or will i have to pay for that too?

It all comes with it when you pay for vb.

thank u!
    My answers are in red.

Comment

thank u very much howard

for question 3, when u say:

You wont have to but you wont be able to update your board.
      what do u mean?
      Last edited by serenesi; Thu 19 Jun '08, 3:21am.

Comment

thank u very much howard

for question 3, when u say:

what do u mean?
        Basically, if you purchase an owned license it gives you access to the members area downloads section for a year. Meaning when the vb software is updated, for example 3.7.2 comes out, you will be able to download this to upgrade your forum. If however the year is up, and you do not renew this license, you will not have access to this download section anymore.

Comment

"Moderators" and "Modifications"

I think you're confusing "mods" (modifications, hacks, add ons), with "moderators".

Forum moderators can help for free or be paid, that is up to you and them.

Comment

oh ok, sorry!

one more question:

would i need just a domain or domain + webhosting & which sort, how would i connect the domain with my forum?

i was looking through the demo & i saw no way of doing so
            maybe i missed it

secondly, is it unlimited bandwidth or not?

Comment

You need to purchase webhosting, and a domain, we do not provide either or have any recomendaitons on where to purchase either.

As a note of intresting, do not go with anywebhost who offers "unlimited" bandwidth.

Comment

last question

im gonna be away for 2 months and wont be able to visit my forum at all while im away
                so if i buy the forum now and leave it inactive for 2 months would it close down automatically?

Comment

AS long as you have paid your bills, your forum will remain intact.

Comment

ok, i was looking through the demo and i saw theres a way to create/add new forums but no way to create/add new catorgories?

Comment

ok, i was looking through the demo and i saw theres a way to create/add new forums but no way to create/add new catorgories?

Sure you can. One of the "tick" boxes when you create or edit a forum is to make it a category. You can have as many as you would like.
                      www.Copiertalk.com - Everything Copier , Printer, Fax

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X