This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vbulletin license (free)

I went with a webhost that gave me a free vbulletin license with my hosting. I just want to check this is legitimate, I dont think its under my name as I dont have the license my host has it.

Staff - I can pm you my domain and you can check if hes licensed it.

thanks

We have not allowed any hosting companies to give out free vBulletin licenses.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Dan321 View Post
      I went with a webhost that gave me a free vbulletin license with my hosting. I just want to check this is legitimate, I dont think its under my name as I dont have the license my host has it.

Staff - I can pm you my domain and you can check if hes licensed it.

thanks
      I think I am with the same hosting provider as you. I will pm you the company, they are not giving free vBulletin away.

Comment

vBulletin License

Code:

Receive a FREE 1 year leased vBulletin License with the purcase of a any hosting account (Small Biz or above). You must commit to a 1 year ...
        forums.nexcess.net/archive/index.php?t-189.html

This is right from Google.....

Comment

Our EULA stipulates we do not allow reselling, or sharing, etc of personal licenses.
          The license can't be offered for free, because it's not free. The only place to buy it is vbulletin.com

If the EULA is broken the owner of the license runs the risk of having their license(s) revoked.

Comment

What if said host purchases the leased license for each new customer and then transfers the costs to them after 1 year? Is that against the license? That is what appears to be happening here (although I could be wrong)
            No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

Leased licenses are not eligible for transfer, only owned licenses are.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

hmmm; i was aware that the EULA didn't allow reselling, however giving away for free isn't reselling...

If a hosting company was to purchase a liscense for each customer that signed up and let them use it while they were hosted with that company - that to me seems like a very prudent business move for both the hosting company and jelsoft. Perhaps such a liscense should attract a higher (or just mandatory) yearly renewal cost to make up for the fact that it may mean less liscenses are bought in the first place; when the hosting company begins reusing old liscenses as customers leave.

would lending a liscense to a friend (for free) be ok? Doing so would mean spending an extra $60 to renew it as its currently unused.
                Some of my Mods:
                Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb3.6+ version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
                Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb4 version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
                Use Original thread for Comments - Uses the original thread for comments for any forum threads promoted to CMS articles.
                Custom Friendly Urls - Allows customisation of forum urls from the admin CP.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnage- View Post
                  hmmm; i was aware that the EULA didn't allow reselling, however giving away for free isn't reselling...

If a hosting company was to purchase a liscense for each customer that signed up and let them use it while they were hosted with that company - that to me seems like a very prudent business move for both the hosting company and jelsoft. Perhaps such a liscense should attract a higher (or just mandatory) yearly renewal cost to make up for the fact that it may mean less liscenses are bought in the first place; when the hosting company begins reusing old liscenses as customers leave.

would lending a liscense to a friend (for free) be ok? Doing so would mean spending an extra $60 to renew it as its currently unused.
                  I agree, it would seem to be a wise business move...
                  No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

Giving it away for free is reselling for the price of $0.

Comment

Leased licenses cannot be transferred. This has nothing to do with 'selling'. Sorry I did not make that clear.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Yes, can you make it please!

Comment

No, this will not happen.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X