Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried about upgrading, patches, etc. down the line

Hi,

I'd like to know if i get vbulletin, what will be necessary in the future when it comes to upgrading, security fixes or patches. I'm new at all of this and would like to know if I go ahead and customize or create my own template, add modifications (or hacks) from vbulletin.org, will that all affect the upgrading or patch process? I don't have any idea what I'm doing with code, so I'd just like to know what I'm in for.

I'm also asking because I recently tried working with Joomla and read some things about how when it comes time to upgrade, you really have to dive deep in the code and do all sorts of stuff with each of the external add-ons or modifications.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Geoff

For the most part, many of our customers upgrade in less than 5 minutes so we make the process as painless as possible.

Properly coded addons shouldn't touch the main code for the most part. They attach to hundreds of hooks throughout the code and insert their programming every time a page is run. This means that for the most part they do not affect upgrading. From time to time, though there might be a change in vBulletin that requires addons to be updated to be compatible with the new version.

Templates are a little different as there are fewer hooks to tap into. However Most style customizations are done in the header and footer templates and the CSS. With these, you won't have any problems upgrading 99% of the time. Other Styles may be more involved and would require an update from the Style creator.

Most third-party vendors and designers release updated styles and addons relatively quickly after upgrading. What you should do though is visit www.vbulletin.org and get a glimpse of the styles and addons available for 3.7.X before making your decision.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X