Help me, I'm ignorant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me, I'm ignorant

I have an interest in starting a sports team forum, but I don't have a server and I don't want to buy a server.

Also, what would the monthy costs be (approx), and how much would a skin upgrade be?

Very generic questions, I realize. Any help is appreciated.

leased (shared) hosting is anywhere from $7-$7000 a month, depending on what you need. you don't have to buy any hardware (nor maintain it) when you lease.
    for a brand new forum, the $7 plan will surely hold your tiny site.

skins, any where from generic and free to $30-60 for 'premium' skins, to $300-1000 for complete custom. it all depends on the designer you hire. vB doesn't do skins.

Comment

Originally posted by briansol View Post
      leased (shared) hosting is anywhere from $7-$7000 a month, depending on what you need. you don't have to buy any hardware (nor maintain it) when you lease.
      for a brand new forum, the $7 plan will surely hold your tiny site.

skins, any where from generic and free to $30-60 for 'premium' skins, to $300-1000 for complete custom. it all depends on the designer you hire. vB doesn't do skins.
      Thanks. How do I go about finding about leasing server space?

Comment

there are tons of them.
        www.hostgator.com for example, but if you search on google for 'web hosting' you will get some 10000 others.

I think you will be good with a hosting plan that is less than 15$/month.

Comment

So please explain this to me like I'm a 3 year old...

I go to a server website, and then I sign some sort of lease. I'd then purchase the Vbul software, and how would I get that on the server? Would I have to pass info to the server company so they could load it?

I really apprecaite all the help guys, and sorry if I'm a dumbarse.

Comment

You'd need to install it yourself: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/install
            Best Regards,
            Andy Huang

Comment

Wow. This seems very complicated.

Comment

Could I pay someone to install it for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter22 View Post
                  Wow. This seems very complicated.
                  It's not hard at all. If you follow the steps on http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/install you won't need to pay anyone to install it for you.

Could I pay someone to install it for me?
                  Please read:
                  Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                  The Professional Installation costs $150 in addition to the cost of a license. You will need a web server that already has PHP and MySQL installed and running.

Once you purchase the Installation you will receive an email with a link to the installation form where you input the server details.

- FTP server, username and password
                  - MySQL server, username, password and database name
                  - URL of homepage and forums

Once that form is filled out correctly, the installation is assigned to one of our Techs and is usually completed within 1-2 business days (not including weekends.)
                  Twitter | Face Book

OSChat.net - Open Source Chat Software.
                  osTicket.com - Open Source Support Ticket Software.

Comment

Okay, so let me see if I have all the steps that I need to complete:

First, I'd go to a web hosting place like HostGator and sign up for a plan (I think i'd go for the 12.95 per month plan).

Then, I register a domain name. Or is that part of the web hosting process? And is there a site out there that lets you know what domain names are available/unavailable?

Then, when I register at hostgator, they give me passwords etc to their server.

Next, I'd purchase a Vbul license, and give the passwords to someone here to install it on aforementioned server.

Finally, my board would be up and I'd have all the codes/admin passwords/etc needed to customize/use the site?

Am I missing anything?

The costs I'm finding is 12.95 per month for hosting.
                    180 for the license. 150 for installation.

Skins could be done at a later date. So my initial investment would be 320 + about 150 for the year of web hosting.

Comment

First, I'd go to a web hosting place like HostGator and sign up for a plan (I think i'd go for the 12.95 per month plan).
                      A good place to find information about hosting would be http://www.webhostingtalk.com.

Then, I register a domain name. Or is that part of the web hosting process? And is there a site out there that lets you know what domain names are available/unavailable?
                      It really depends on the host you're purchasing from. Some offer a domain as well as hosting but usually you have to purchase them separately. Most domain registrars will tell you if a domain name is available upon trying to purchase it. You can also use http://www.checkdomain.com/.

Next, I'd purchase a Vbul license, and give the passwords to someone here to install it on aforementioned server.

Finally, my board would be up and I'd have all the codes/admin passwords/etc needed to customize/use the site?
                      Yes.

Skins could be done at a later date.
                      Free skins can be found at vbulletin.org

Again, it's easy to install it on your own.
                      Last edited by Coreye; Fri 13 Jun '08, 5:04pm.
                      Twitter | Face Book

OSChat.net - Open Source Chat Software.
                      osTicket.com - Open Source Support Ticket Software.

Comment

It is worthwhile to note that you should probably NOT get your domain and hosting from the same company. Many hosting providers offers "free" domain with your hosting (or vice versa), but that is only a gimmic to bring you in, and so they can lock you down at their service. If you become unhappy with their service, and wants to move away, they can charge you as much as they want before they release the domain to you for use on another hosting provider.

Not many hosting providers do this now days, and we don't hear about it alot because people usually just touch their nose and move on, but it is still better safe than sorry.
                        Best Regards,
                        Andy Huang

Comment

Off topic, sort of, but what is the difference between having a .com and a .net?

I know .net is for network, and .com is commercial.

Reason I'm asking is, I checked a domain I was interested in on checkdomains.com and it was taken. Then I changed the .com to .net, and it was available.

So can I, should I register the .net and go with it or is it more complicated than that?

Comment

If the name you're looking for is a business trademark (IE: vBulletin.com => vBulletin.net), you may face legal problems from the trademark owner. If the name you're looking for is generic, it might be fine. If you are worried about legal problems, then it may be a good idea to think of a different name.

Generally speaking, it is exactly as you mentioned, .com is commercial entity, .net is network, and you should try to stick to the one that suites your purpose the best. However, there is no law stating you cannot register a .com unless you're a commercial entity. It is worth while to mention that people will also remember .com easier than .net -- even if they're aware the party they're intending to visit is a network -- just because .com's are so commonly abused and mis-used.
                            Best Regards,
                            Andy Huang

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X