X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry
    replied
    Once again, ImpEx is not going to alter the source database, this isn't a needed 'fix' or 'bug' as has been insinuated, there are various was of working around it as have been said and built, even a few I've done myself.

Though none are official or supported at this time.

The original post and the added ones have been answered.

Leave a comment:

• David Grove
    replied
    Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
    Would you like to propose a solution on how to fix it rather than whine about it??
    Here's my solution.

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    No. There is no 'fix'. Those passwords are encrypted and cannot be unencrypted.
    The IPB-stored passwords don't have to be unencrypted. The user's password can be transparently converted to the vB hash when they log in for the first time on the new boards.

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra View Post
    I think the idea is to make the transfer process as seemless as possible for the end user.
    Exactly.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275233

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    I think the idea is to make the transfer process as seemless as possible for the end user.

Leave a comment:

• gamestar
    replied
    Originally posted by l SKN l CHRIS View Post
    Not to be a "negative nancy" [email protected]!, but in my past experiences when I converted and made members reset passwords about 1/3 of them never came back. Other forums systems have solved this issue, I really hope vBulletin considers fixing it too.
    And how much of that 1/3 were still active users on your forum? Every forum has a lot of users that aren't active anymore. So it doesn't matter if they don't come back.

If a user is active on a forum I'm sure he be willing to reset his password.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    No. There is no 'fix'. Those passwords are encrypted and cannot be unencrypted.

Leave a comment:

• awaisuk
    replied
    I am talking about the passwords being transfered, and not having to reset the password.

is that been fixed?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by awaisuk View Post
    Any news on the converting from IPB to VB? Possible now?
    It's always been possible.

Leave a comment:

• awaisuk
    replied
    Any news on the converting from IPB to VB? Possible now?

Leave a comment:

• l SKN l CHRIS
    replied
    I'm not wining, simple posting about it. I haven't had to convert from another forum in years so I really don't care that much, I'm only talking about it to benefit vBulletin. There have been proposed solutions with plugins in such, I'm sure the vBulletin dev team could do it.

Leave a comment:

• Chousho
    replied
    Not to be a "negative nancy" [email protected]!, but in my past experiences when I converted and made members reset passwords about 1/3 of them never came back. Other forums systems have solved this issue, I really hope vBulletin considers fixing it too.
    Hmm, well~
    As it's been stated that the official way won't alter the VB database, that only leaves plugins to do the job.

It wouldn't be too hard.
    You'd need to add a new row in the user table that contains the old password hash (and maybe another if there's a salt), then when the user logs in, match if the entered password creates the stored hash. Take the password they entered and update (not alter) the VB database with their new password hash/salt created via the official VB method.

In fact, you wouldn't even need to alter the DB to add rows if you played your cards right. Just update the value of the password hash and salt after comparing the inputted password hash against the value. At the very worst, you'd have an extra method or two in the impex class that won't get used more than once.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Would you like to propose a solution on how to fix it rather than whine about it??

Leave a comment:

• l SKN l CHRIS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry View Post
    No change on the status of that.
    That would be that, as of this time ImpEx cannot import IPB passwords.

Leave a comment:

• ikillbill
    replied
    3 weeks pased

can we have a formal last update from VBB official? yes or no that you are going to resolve this issue?

Leave a comment:

• Vtec44
    replied
    Originally posted by ikillbill View Post
    Otherwise, maybe as long as your forum is strong enough, impex is NOT EVEN needed, isn't it true? your members will still come back even forum is empty
    Yep, happened before on several forums that I'm on.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X