Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Person can register only once

HI
    I want to purchase but need a question answered pls.

How could I ensure a person only creates 1 username on my site. I need a system that will not allow a person to register two different usernames. I was thinking of taking a credit card and verifying it for say $.50 then I could use that, but I can't think of any other way - like ISP number or something.

Does anyone have any ideas on this - thanks.

W

you could try the invite mod on the vbulletin.org board

Comment

There is no perfect way to limit one user to a single account. If someone figures out a way, the man would be a billionaire.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

ok thanks

I thought maybe IP address or similar - but sounds like credit card verification or billing information is the only way.

I will have to check the Inite mod.

Thanks

Comment

Right now I can only think of credit card verification - that is not the best way since not everyone has one, maybe getting a utility bill or something from a person with their mailing address, or maybe asking for a cell phone number and using that as the identifier.

If you can share any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comment

The only way to be sure of this level of user control is to have the board password protected and membership by invitation only.

People can aquire extra ip's,emails, credit cards and bills or even get others to sign up on their behalf if they really want to .

Comment

That is what I thought - but credit card will at least have the person's name on it. Seems a very difficult task.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

The problem is that the World Wide Web portion of the internet was designed for anonymity for the most part. It uses stateless networking, dynamic identification and a whole slew of things to make it work properly. This prevents readily identifying people consistently. This is the primary reason why cookies and sessions (basically server side cookies) were created. However they can easily be circumvented.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X