X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just to be sure.

is it ok for me to link 3 sites to the same forum>

by that i mean ill have the forum installed on mysite.com

but it will have content from three other sites there.

nothing will be hidden just becouse you come from sit1.com or site2.com or mysite.com

the forums will be installed some place on animerealmz.org

but be linked to/from mhwd.org and one other site

on the forums you will go to say animerealmz.org/ForumZ and see

Animerealmz.org

>>> and topics for this site under a main sub folder

then mhwd.org

>>>>> topics for this site will go under its onw sub folder

and yahoogroups/beeslinks/

>>>> and a main sub folder here for this site

nothing will be hidden depending on what site you come from as all will link to the main forums index page.

there won't be different usergroups for each site every thing will be 100% open from all three sites

the ONLY difference MIGHT be each main section will have a hidden admin section if i choose to have different admins for each section but that will depend on your reply to this.

like you might see something like this ( just for example )

Animerealmz.org

>>> and topics for this site under a main sub folder

Forums

1) Off topic Rants

2) Anime

3) Manga

4) Admin Palace (hidden)
    Topic Welcome to the Admin Palace. In this section we will discuss Ip bans, Moderiator promotions, Site changes etc... Here.

and then again for the mhwd and bees links areas.

(sorry for useing real sites here but it was the only way to keep it all straight)

Multiple domains and the license agreement

Comment

1. Your forum is accessable from multiple domains and your forums are configured to show/hide certain forums based on the domain. This is not OK and requires an active vBulletin license for each domain. In this situation the forums appear to have separate content thereby making them separate forums in the eyes of the license agreement. Your forum content needs to be the same for each domain in order to qualify as a single forum.

see thats what i mean i want to make sure a hidden forum area for admins by domain name is allowed

IE: animerealmz.org has a site owner who might want mods for that section only and only those people to see it and not have the admins for the mhwd.org site to be able to view the admin area for the anime site

in other words each sites respective forum content will be viewed by all froum members EXEPT the Admin Palace in the anime forum section
      likewise the mods for the anime site wont see the Admin Zone for the mhwd section of the forums

The hidden Admin sections for each site are the ONLY part that MIGHT be hidden from others.

the reason for this is simple if i want to moderiate someone who posted X-rated links in my section of the forum i want to discuss that with the mods of the anime section of the forums and not necessarley the mhwd section if the links were only in the anime section.

if this is confusing you i am sorry i don't always get what im trying to say out clearley

Comment

No, I don't believe thats allowed. If your admin forums are not hidden and can be accessed from all domains, you should be fine.

Comment

To do what you want, you need three licenses.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
            To do what you want, you need three licenses.
            How so Wayne?
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

The way it is described makes it so. He wants to provide similar communities to three different websites. The following qualifications makes it require three licenses:

1) Each website would have its own staff including hidden administration areas, moderators, supermoderators and administrators.

2) Each website would enter through its own section and have the option to navigate to other sections of the community.

If he had three domains and all three of them linked to forums/index.php and the same staff groups maintained the entire community then he would need a single license.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

The way it is described makes it so. He wants to provide similar communities to three different websites. The following qualifications makes it require three licenses:

1) Each website would have its own staff including hidden administration areas, moderators, supermoderators and administrators.

2) Each website would enter through its own section and have the option to navigate to other sections of the community.

If he had three domains and all three of them linked to forums/index.php and the same staff groups maintained the entire community then he would need a single license.
                the idea behind this idea is to make a community for three sites in one location.

the fourm would be linked from each sites index.html or /index.php page

the forums admins were going to be over the whole board while mods and super mods would admin different sections that way no one mod HAS to mod the full forum that was the reason for mhwd.org having a hidden i think i said forum i meant meant something like

Animerealmz.org > Admin Zone > Admin Palace

not animerealmz.org/forums mhwd.org/forums /beeselinks/forums

and if i have to have the admin and mods BOTH able to see all the secret forums then i don't have a problem with that.

Comment

I think what you're trying to do only needs one license, since you're going to be using the forums on only one domain.

In order to manage it how you want though, you simply need to create user groups to restrict access to each private forum individually.

This isn't a domain issue, but rather a vBulletin permissions issue. I am pretty sure you don't need three licenses for a single vBulletin running on a single domain if it is simply linked to from 3 different websites.

The way I understand it you have:

animerealmz.org
                  mhwd.org
                  and the yahoo group.

From what I gather I also understand that the forums are located ONLY on:

animerealmz.org/forums

and there are links to the aforementioned forum on:

animerealmz.org
                  mhwd.org
                  and the yahoo group.

Is this correct? If so, you should only need one vBulletin license and set up user groups with permissions to separate which admins can see what forums which is easily done with vBulletin.

If vBulletin license requires that people coming from different sites and have access to a specific area that other people from other sites don't have access to means that you have to have extra licenses, that seems pretty short-sided on the licensing side.

I can understand if he was using one forum to host SEPARATE sections based on each website entirely, but it seems to me that it is simply a private forum for different admin groups, and from what I understand the domains and yahoo group are all part of the same "community" and not completely separate internet properties sharing a single vBulletin license to save money. They just use different domains to differentiate between the anime and manga and whatever other section of the community. That is my impression anyway. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Apologies if this is a bit confusing to read.

Comment

I think you also need only one license.

But have a look at the 3 examples in the license thread.

Those should make it clear.

Comment

Originally posted by bcorcoran View Post
                      I think what you're trying to do only needs one license, since you're going to be using the forums on only one domain.

In order to manage it how you want though, you simply need to create user groups to restrict access to each private forum individually.

This isn't a domain issue, but rather a vBulletin permissions issue. I am pretty sure you don't need three licenses for a single vBulletin running on a single domain if it is simply linked to from 3 different websites.

The way I understand it you have:

animerealmz.org
                      mhwd.org
                      and the yahoo group.

From what I gather I also understand that the forums are located ONLY on:

animerealmz.org/forums

and there are links to the aforementioned forum on:

animerealmz.org
                      mhwd.org
                      and the yahoo group.

Is this correct? If so, you should only need one vBulletin license and set up user groups with permissions to separate which admins can see what forums which is easily done with vBulletin.

If vBulletin license requires that people coming from different sites and have access to a specific area that other people from other sites don't have access to means that you have to have extra licenses, that seems pretty short-sided on the licensing side.

I can understand if he was using one forum to host SEPARATE sections based on each website entirely, but it seems to me that it is simply a private forum for different admin groups, and from what I understand the domains and yahoo group are all part of the same "community" and not completely separate internet properties sharing a single vBulletin license to save money. They just use different domains to differentiate between the anime and manga and whatever other section of the community. That is my impression anyway. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Apologies if this is a bit confusing to read.

you are pretty much right on.

the only forums will be hosted on the anime site ONLY

there will be content from all three sites and no content will be hidden EXEPT the admin section for each site. th ehidden admin section for each site is just for the mod usergroup i don't want to over tax any one mod by having them mod the entire forum. the admins however will be able to see all three admin sections.

the mod thing is a moot point at the moment anyhow as we don't have the licence yet.

the owners of the three sites all live in the same house. I should know as i am one of them. this is the only way i could come up with for us to have a forum of our own without the need for three licences and be legitimate.

a friend is transfering a licence to me that he isn't useing. i will still be purchasing the yearly download/support thing though.

see i am trying to do the right thing and just had to be sure how to do this.

Comment

As long as you allow each site to have its own staff and they have hidden management forums and their own rules for participation, you need three license because its in essence three communities. If your other two sites link to www.animerealmz.com with a single staff and forum structure then its a single community.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

As long as you allow each site to have its own staff and they have hidden management forums and their own rules for participation, you need three license because its in essence three communities. If your other two sites link to www.animerealmz.com with a single staff and forum structure then its a single community.

ok thanks i will just go with one hidden section and staff. the rules were going to be the same any how. the sites themselves have their own staff now the forums however will not have different staff for each section.

so now in addition the the

animerealmz.org

mhwd.org

Bees Links

ill add

The Admin Palace

(now the only usergroups to view this will be the forum mods there is only one forum mods wont be able to see thats because there may be things the ADMIN group might not want the MOD group to see right away.) (this ofcourse is once we need extra help and not till then.)

so now all mods and admins will be universial ops

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X