No announcement yet.

guild hosting and vBulletin license

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run a gaming forum, which also hosts free forums (sub forums) for guilds.

But I use 1 usergroup for each guild, if they ask for a private subforum
    Unfortunatly it means the more guilds I add, the longer the usergroup listing, access requests and forum permission page becomes.
    I don't know of a simpler way to do it, anyone got any suggestions?

Comment

A forum would die from 100's of usergroups.

Comment

I also do hosting for guilds within our main forum. We just create subforums structure and group for every guild. Unfortunately, when you have tens of groups and hundreds of subforums you start having serious problems.

VB works very bad when you have lot of suboforums and lot of groups.
        You will be unable to see permission page in admincp under IE. I use Opera - but it also have huge memory leak problems, when displaing page like that. FFox is a bit better, but it has another problem, that I did not remember exactly.

VB guys usually suggest to use AdminCP->Main Settings -> Admin Control Panel Options -> Forum Manager Display and suggest to choose different view mode there.
        Unfortunately, they did not separated this setting for forum view and permissions view, and therefore, whatever you choose, you will feel better with one and uncomfortable with another. "Single" is ok with permissions, but make the view of subforums useless..

So, my suggestion to you: just use Opera to operate in Admin CP. Other browsers will be much less comfortable or just unable to work with VB ADmin CP for big forums with many groups. Yes, I know, Opera does not have default WYSIWYG editor and plugindoes not work good all the time... =( Aad when you see that the Opera start laggin - just restart it.

Another reason, why using groups and subforums are not really good solution, is the fact, that it is inconvenient for users. They want to be able to deal with subforums and groups on their own. They need administrative rights. But VB does not have an ability to grant partial administrative rights on particular subforums only.

Another big minus of this approach, is the fact, that it is eating my time. Very painfull.

However, VB still the best forum solution yet. Unfortunately, it is only on in the beginning of the long way of evolution. Far ahead others, but still, somewere in the beginning.
        GoHa.Ru

Comment

But VB does not have an ability to grant partial administrative rights on particular subforums only.
          That's because it would be against the license agreement.

Comment

Shame, because it'd make my life a lot easier, hehe.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X