Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customized Memberlists and Profile Pages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amaysing79
    replied
    Originally posted by Kerry-Anne View Post
    The member list will allow ordering by the contents of the profile fields. It does not contain sub lists.

In the profiles, photo albums can be private and visitor messages can be made private by default. Other items can be made private with some modification to the template.
    Kerry-Anne, is there a link to where I can read more about how member lists allow ordering by contents of profile fields? If a subset of members have a graduation year of 1990 in their profile fields, how would anyone not in that year even be ordered on the list? Would there be a way to automatically enroll signups into a 1990 usergroup, and then sort that usergroup from the site-wide member list?

On the profiles, are the private albums and visitor messages viewable by a member's designated friends?

Thanks,

A79

Leave a comment:

• Amaysing79
    replied
    Got it, thanks. I really appreciate the help.

Leave a comment:

• peterska2
    replied
    The member list will allow ordering by the contents of the profile fields. It does not contain sub lists.

In the profiles, photo albums can be private and visitor messages can be made private by default. Other items can be made private with some modification to the template.

Leave a comment:

• Amaysing79
    replied
    Kerry-Anne, in looking at your page a bit more I see it had even more details than at first glance. Are members able to make certain aspects of their pages private, or available to only their friends, such as contact info? Thanks in advance.

Leave a comment:

• Amaysing79
    replied
    Originally posted by Kerry-Anne View Post
    Hello,

You can add custom profile fields for your members to complete which can be displayed on the member list and included in the member search.

The upcoming vBulletin 3.7.0 includes profile page customization where users can easily customize the style of their profile page. It also includes visitor messaging which works like a message wall for that person and user albums where users can upload pictures to their profiles. You can see this in action on the profiles here (example: my profile)
    Beautiful! That's exactly what I had in mind for the profile pages, thanks.

Now on the memberlist, am I able to alphabetize sub-lists for the different graduating classes? I appreciate the help.

Leave a comment:

• peterska2
    replied
    Hello,

You can add custom profile fields for your members to complete which can be displayed on the member list and included in the member search.

The upcoming vBulletin 3.7.0 includes profile page customization where users can easily customize the style of their profile page. It also includes visitor messaging which works like a message wall for that person and user albums where users can upload pictures to their profiles. You can see this in action on the profiles here (example: my profile)

Leave a comment:

• Amaysing79
    started a topic Customized Memberlists and Profile Pages?

Customized Memberlists and Profile Pages?

Hi, new poster and probably a new customer here.

I'm starting a social networking/forum site in the near future, and after looking into some other types of forum software, I'm leaning very heavily towrds going with vBulletin. I'm still doing my homework before pulling the trigger, though, and I have a few questions about ideas I have for some modifications. I'm not looking for raw code right now, so general answers will do: yes, no, maybe, and degree of difficulty.

I want to do most of the programming myself, though I've got a friend with several years of vBulletin experience if things get tricky. I've done CSS and a w3 compliant site before, so I'm a little green, but not a complete novice.

The site I'm planning is an alumni site for my high school. The way I see it, I think the primary interest for my members will be their ability to renew contacts, so I want to make that as easy and attractive as possible from the outset. I'll have a forum, but I don't really know how much interest there will be in that sort of daily exchange.

A big key to success will be how I organize my memberlist. I'd like to be able to do this in a few different ways, especially by graduating class. Can I have a required field for class year on my registration page that is reflected in the member list? I'd like my members to be able to click on a link that gives them everyone who graduated in 1990, and so on. I also plan to allow friends and family members to join, so I'd like to have those fields required at registration as well. Has anyone done anything like this?

Another set of modifications I'd like to make regards the members' profile pages. I'd like to give them a few tools to personalize their pages, along the lines of the tools used for posting on threads. No html or complicated scripts, just some bb code with the ability to write some things and post some pictures, link to their Myspace or Facebook pages, etc. Also, would it be possible to allow members to enable something like a wall thread on their pages (a single thread), along the lines of a Facebook wall?

Thanks for looking this over and any help of suggestions you have. Looking forward to your replies!