Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here converted from IF to VB before?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here converted from IF to VB before?

I don’t know if I can post this here but I was hoping I could find someone to help me? I have just received the backup data for my forum and to say it sent me cross eyed would be a slight understatement. I haven’t a clue what to do with it. Has anyone here converted from InvisionFree to VB?

You can download the data (74.2MB) at (URL)

Be sure you have a freshly installed IPB (v1.3.x) with the default mysql table prefix (ibf_).
    Next empty the following tables on the fresh install (again make sure the install is using the prefix ibf_):

I still need to get VB so I can't do it just yet but any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Dump the data in a MySQL-Database (eg. using PHPMyAdmin).

After that, use Impex (you can download Impex after you bought a license) to import your ipb-data and convert to vBulletin.

Should be no problem.
    Greets,
    TheSonic

Comment

Ok please excuse me for sounding thick….my web design skills don’t stretch this far lol.

Ok...do you mean dump it in a host that supports mysql (host I am planning on using) and then use Impex to transfer the data from the host platform to VB?

Comment

Originally posted by swisscotton View Post
        Ok...do you mean dump it in a host that supports mysql (host I am planning on using) and then use Impex to transfer the data from the host platform to VB?
        Exactly... Should be no problem, i am sure you will receive support if you have problems with the process. Dumping in the database should be no problem (if your dump is not corrupt ) and using Impex on a IPB-Database is an easy one (done this before without problems)

BTW: Your host has to support MySQL - without MySQL-Support, you're unable to use vBulletin
        Greets,
        TheSonic

Comment

Originally posted by TheSonic View Post
          Exactly... Should be no problem, i am sure you will receive support if you have problems with the process. Dumping in the database should be no problem (if your dump is not corrupt ) and using Impex on a IPB-Database is an easy one (done this before without problems)

BTW: Your host has to support MySQL - without MySQL-Support, you're unable to use vBulletin
          That’s ok its dose.
          What do they mean when they say “Be sure you have a freshly installed IPB (v1.3.x)”?

The only other thing I am usue about is if my IF bored still stays up or if it closes once moved to VB. I suppose they can tell me that though.

Comment

With a vBulletin license, you'll have access to Impex, a import tool free with a valid license. This will be used to import the data from your InvisionFree to a vBulletin environment, so you keep all member information as well as posts and other important items.

First, you want to create a MySQL database using the control panel of the web host you went with. Most web hosts use and provide cPanel to their customers, as well as support MySQL. With cPanel 11, it now has a wizard (a step-by-step helper) to setup a MySQL database and user account. However, if you are unsure still, you may contact your web hosting's support team to help you out (or do it for you, provided you send them the file under arrangements).

I would go into more, but support cannot be given to unlicensed members. To become licensed, you'll need to go into the Member's Area and enable support at these forums. This is to ensure no one is helping pirating users (not saying you are, of course, just a precaution especially since this thread is made public for everyone).

So, we can help you, just gotta get licensed first. But this is fully do-able and we can help guide you to the points you wish to go (Documentation has pictures and instructions as well).

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex

Comment

That’s ok its dose.
              What do they mean when they say “Be sure you have a freshly installed IPB (v1.3.x)”?
              You can skip this part of the message, as you do not plan run a IPB.
              vBulletin's Impex only requires the database. You do not need any files of IPB.

Just dump the Database and run Impex and you will be fine
              Greets,
              TheSonic

Comment

That’s cool. Can I use Impex on a licensed version rather then just the owned version? I was thinking of trying it for the first year.

I am using Hawkhost. I know this sounds stupid but I am just trying to figure out how to download this backup. IF never gave many instructions. Just that what I wrote above and a URL to a page that opens up with a lot of code. But if you can’t tell me to much yet then that’s cool Ill purchase it as soon as my head is sort of clear as to what I am doing. So far I have got my backup and host and I dunno what I am doing with either….LOL.

This is a pit fall to being a designer

Comment

Impex is available to all customers - leased or owned licenses.
                  Greets,
                  TheSonic

Comment

That�s cool. Can I use Impex on a licensed version rather then just the owned version? I was thinking of trying it for the first year.

I am using Hawkhost. I know this sounds stupid but I am just trying to figure out how to download this backup. IF never gave many instructions. Just that what I wrote above and a URL to a page that opens up with a lot of code.
                    Right Click -> Save As (when hovering over the URL) should do the trick.

If it doesn't already have a filename (such as backup.sql) just name it whatever you want with .sql at the end.
                    - TomJames

Comment

Originally posted by TomJames View Post
                      Right Click -> Save As (when hovering over the URL) should do the trick.

If it doesn't already have a filename (such as backup.sql) just name it whatever you want with .sql at the end.
                      Ah. I didn't know you could save this kind of stuff that way. Ok cool I will give it a go. Thanks

Comment

I have downloaded the file and now it asks me to:

Then run the queries in the file you downloaded. See http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/batch-commands.html

Full instructions below.

You can download the data (74.2MB) at (url)

Be sure you have a freshly installed IPB (v1.3.x) with the default mysql table prefix (ibf_).
                        Next empty the following tables on the fresh install (again make sure the install is using the prefix ibf_):
                        ibf_badwords
                        ibf_posts
                        ibf_calendar_events
                        ibf_categories
                        ibf_contacts
                        ibf_emoticons
                        ibf_forums
                        ibf_groups
                        ibf_members
                        ibf_messages
                        ibf_moderators
                        ibf_polls
                        ibf_stats
                        ibf_titles
                        ibf_topics
                        ibf_tracker
                        ibf_voters
                        ibf_cache_store
                        ibf_forum_perms
                        ibf_topic_mmod
                        ibf_validating;

or you can use these queries:

CODE DELETE FROM ibf_badwords;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_posts;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_calendar_events;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_categories;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_contacts;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_emoticons;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_forums;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_groups;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_members;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_messages;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_moderators;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_polls;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_stats;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_titles;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_topics;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_tracker;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_voters;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_cache_store;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_forum_perms;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_topic_mmod;
                        DELETE FROM ibf_validating;
                        Then run the queries in the file you downloaded. See http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/batch-commands.html
                        I assume i can just upload the file now.

Comment

This only cleans up your IPB-Database... There have to be more Datas... This is also not a dump.

A dump-file would include data from your forums, eg. Usernames, Postcontent, etc.
                          Greets,
                          TheSonic

Comment

I've never done this with vB so I can't really comment, but for what it's worth to convert from IF to IPB 2.X+ you have to convert to IPB1.3 first, for some reason...

Hmm hopefully one of the staff can clarify the conversion process soon.
                            - TomJames

Comment

There is a URL that I was given with that backup containing a mass of data. I take it thats it. I had to download it from that URL which I have done. Going by what I have been told I now need to upload it to my host.

However I just recived this also:

Your IF forum will remain online. The conversion file is only directly compatible with IPB 1.3 as I noted earlier in this ticket. It will need to be modified to fit into a vB structure.

Brian
                              Modified???

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X