Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Migration from PHPBB v2.0 to Vbulletin - can I keep same file structure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration from PHPBB v2.0 to Vbulletin - can I keep same file structure?

Hi folks,

It seems that soon I will be a PHPBB refugee over at the Vbulletin camp.

But before that I would like to know the answer to the following highly important for me question.

As an owner of a PHPBB forum with over 10,000 different threads, that are already cached AND ranked (quite well too) in Google, it is very important for me to keep the same files structure.

For example domain.com/viewforum.php?f=4 HAS to remain at the same location so I do not lose search engine traffic and placement. Likewise for particular posts, say domain.com/viewtopic.php?t=5120 has to have the same URL after migration.

I've read all about Impex, and searched through old threads for hours but could not find an answer to this particular question. Please let me know!

Dennis

Unfortunately all the imported posts, threads and forums will have entirely new URLs and ID numbers.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Ouch, that puts a damper on the whole migration process

Steve, are there maybe some scripts out there that could generate the pre / after url's for me? I suppose I could use 301 redirects in .htaccess to redirect visitors to new thread locations but obviously writing that file manually would take ages...

Best,

Dennis

Comment

Please read the 404.impex.readme.txt file in the Impex tools folder. I don't know if that will do everything you want but this is the only tool available like this. This is not supported though.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
          Please read the 404.impex.readme.txt file in the Impex tools folder.
          What version of Impex contains this file?

Regards

Comment

Wouldn't vbSEO let you do something like this?
            - TomJames

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178161

The 301/404.php would of done this, though has been removed now.
              I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Ok, so I've bought a license and I'm in the middle of transfering the forums... and indeed I cannot find the 404 file in tools folder... Is there any way someone could pretty please post a link to it?

Dennis

Comment

As Jerry said that file was removed. Sorry.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I think it's a very critical issue to care about, I am almost convinced on migrating my forum from PHPBB to vBulletin but this issue stopped my actions and keep all my attention. There must be a solution...

Comment

Originally posted by unfv View Post
                      I think it's a very critical issue to care about, I am almost convinced on migrating my forum from PHPBB to vBulletin but this issue stopped my actions and keep all my attention. There must be a solution...
                      I recommend asking the guys over at vbseo.com or perhaps vbulletin.org. Sadly the guys over at vbseo.com will probably only give you a solution that requires their product :P.
                      - TomJames

Comment

Yeah the first thing they will say is "dont worry man, your site will be more indexed with our product than it was before"

The only solution I find is to place a welcome page to the visitor with a message saying that they will need to search again and a Search Form next to this mesage

Comment

You can try this: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=79

It's unsupported and might not work for you.

If you call the file viewtopic.php it may intercept old links and bounce them to the new threads.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X