Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Domain prepropagation, then propagation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain prepropagation, then propagation.

I'm looking to recommend a vBulletin board to a company currently operating IPB and they're also changing hosts due to poor service. They need continuity of service and the question is when setting up vBulletin with a prepropagation URL on the new host, when the time comes to transfer the domain across, is it just a case of changing the Forum URL in the vBulletin options and 'hey presto, it works!'?

I guess it would be the same as changing the directory of the forum, say from /forum/ to maybe the root directory of a host. Is changing the Forum URL option reliable in these instances?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Ed. View Post
    I'm looking to recommend a vBulletin board to a company currently operating IPB and they're also changing hosts due to poor service. They need continuity of service and the question is when setting up vBulletin with a prepropagation URL on the new host, when the time comes to transfer the domain across, is it just a case of changing the Forum URL in the vBulletin options and 'hey presto, it works!'?

I guess it would be the same as changing the directory of the forum, say from /forum/ to maybe the root directory of a host. Is changing the Forum URL option reliable in these instances?

Thanks.
    Yes, pretty much. You might need ot clear your cookies, but otherwise it is that easy.

Comment

If you are changing domain, and have access to the settings on the DNS server, then a few days before the changeover, modify the DNS expiration (TTL) from the default 86400 (24 hours) to something much shorter like 14400 (4 hours).

See the 3rd paragraph:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_...m#Caching_time

Of course there is nothing you can do about lazy ISPs that ignore the TTL and set a default of 72 hours.

Comment