Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MindFixxer View Post
    Hello? VB?

I've spent too much time reading in this forum to think that this thread was missed. Does that mean it's being avoided?

If you don't wish to disclose exactly how information you are collecting and sending from websites, it would be politer to simply tell me that so I can go elsewhere. Silence has a very funny way of speaking for itself.

The community has done a great job on selling VB. So, as the company that owns VB, why aren't you trying to sell it? Very interesting...
    Steve has replied to your previous post, I don't see how you see this thread as avoided or silenced.

I think you're making it more complicated than it is. They just see what URLs are accessing an image/file that the admin control panel requests and check occasionally to see if a URL requesting that file isn't licensed.

All it collects is the URL, and I don't see how doing this could be "exploited" in any way. What's there to exploit?

Comment

I'm not sure what further information you require that I have not already answered in posts #10 and #13. To reiterate what I've already said:

We collect the URL. That's it. Nothing more.

There is no security issue with this function and never has been in 8 years.

Our source code is open for any customer to see so if there were some hidden nefarious things going on, then this would clearly be out in the open by now.

And we are not going to publish the exact code used for this. As I said, this code is available for any licensed customer to see.

If that information is not what you require then I'm afraid that's the best I can do and perhaps we will not be able to meet your requirements.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

If you are looking at technical details, basically it is a bit of javascript that fetches notice information as well as a small image.

That's it
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by MindFixxer View Post
          One more question...

What exactly does that mean? Precisely, what information is gathered and sent during this process? This is a VERY IMPORTANT question because, though there will be no client records or exact information present, the intention of the site will be partial information sharing among various colleagues and treatment team members, which can put us in a very serious situation if ANY information is regularly gathered from the site and transmitted elsewhere. Why? Mostly because none of us are coding gurus and therefore we can offer no guarantee as to EXACTLY what information is being transmitted from where to where or when this is occurring. How can I find out more about this process?
          Basically, let's put it this way. vBulletin can at regular intervals, send your url to the vBulletin servers. Once the vBulletin server recieve your URL it will check against currently licenced sites, if your site its not licenced it will inform the staff and they will take appropriate actions.

Comment

Not quite true. No one is 'informed'. This only is added to the license details and only if there is a specific reason to check would we even take a look.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X