Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying, Importing & Taking the plunge...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying, Importing & Taking the plunge...

After a lot of reading, playing, and planning, I've made the decision VB is the forum for me. I will be migrating a non-profit forum (www.KeepBritainShooting.org) from phpBB 2.0.22, probably to VB 3.7.0 RC1 (as I wish to start using the image gallery to replace Coppermine), along with the Blog feature add-on.

My question is - the MySQL database, and Linux server that is hosting my phpBB site will be the same one I will be using for VB. Will the impex script work OK exporting from the same database that it will be importing the users/posts in to, but obviously in to new tables?

Also - while I upload VB to the forum folder, and run the impex script etc., will the phpBB forum continue to operate normally? I plan on making a backup etc. at every step of the way, but don't want to blow away the phpBB forum (which sits in the root) while I mess around with the VB settings and template.

Finally - I found a 3.6 template which almost matches the one used by phpBB, and also plan to try VBAdvanced - will these work in 3.7?

Thanks for any help/advice. As soon as I'm off the WiFi, I'll be making my purchase.

Horness
    The Shooting Forum

There is no direct impex to 3.7 as its still an RC.
    You can impex to 3.6.8 then upgrade to 3.7.

You should create a 2nd database.

Make sure you turn off your forum while doing this import.

Create yourself a test copy of vb is the best idea.

Comment

Thanks. Purchase has been made (left the blog out for now, until I get everything else working!), and I've asked my host to create me a new MySQL database to use for VB, and then I can drop the old one when I'm done.

Thanks for your help & advice.

Horness
      The Shooting Forum

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X