I want to move to VB from IF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speak to them and negotiate.

I would have moved way before that post mark, so it wouldn't cost a fortune to obtain the backup.

Comment

Hey there swisscotton. I too am heading over to vBulletin from another free forum software, SMF (Simple Machines Forum). SMF is quite good for a free forum software, however vBulletin offers so much more and has far more potential then that of any free forum software. It is more recognised and gives a better impression to the audience you are aiming your website to. I won't go on too much about this, but all you need to know is that I am creating a fansite (in the form of a forum) for an online game that I play.

I am also the owner of my own FREE hosting service and would like to offer you my services. I haven't been in the business for years and years but I still know what I am doing and have customers to prove it. Our website is under reconstruction which is why you might be turned off by our main page layout, but I am sure you will be pleased with the service.

Please visit us at www.thefreezing.com.

See you soon hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by poolking View Post
        Speak to them and negotiate.

I would have moved way before that post mark, so it wouldn't cost a fortune to obtain the backup.
        i would negotiate, but they're not gonna bring the price down that much are they

Comment

Originally posted by Seanie View Post
          i would negotiate, but they're not gonna bring the price down that much are they
          Well, have you asked them?

Comment

Originally posted by poolking View Post
            Well, have you asked them?
            Well come on lets be realistic, if they can hold my forum data, they're not gonna bring the price down very much.

I cant really afford that much, or anywhere near it.

I might just move and make everyone re-regsiter

Comment

Well it’s been a complete nightmare so far LOL. But the staff have been good.
              I have VB and impex installed but now IF are saying I need to modify the, sql document for it to be transferred…..NOOOOOOOO….man this is never ending. Is this correct or can I just go a head with transfer anyway? To be honest I thought it would just have an upload option to upload my file. I am assuming I will then have to upload something else to me web host.

Thanks for all you help.

Comment

Originally posted by SNN View Post
                Not by much:
                ((1051715-5000)/5000)12.49 = 2614.69407 (rounding) $2,614.69
                WOW! That is a hefty sum! Glad I never converted!

Comment

$2,600 just to move your forum to another host? WHAT A RIP OFF! Man surely there must be a way somehow steal the data? If you have to pay $2,000, that is surely something. That should be illegal, but sadly, it isn't.

If your members have made 1,000,000 posts on the forums, let them decide what to do. If they want to stay, then stay, If they want to move, then perhaps you could ask them for donations to raise the $2000?

I would've thought $300 is a bit much for a copy of the SQL file. If I had a host I would make it $40. You are actually doing them a service by moving as you are saving them space on their servers!

But as for converting to vBulletin, congratulations. I wish I could do the same, but the $500 in my bank account is reserved for when I go to France in September, and my parents would not give me $170AU just for 'a bunch of code'.

Comment

InvisionFree run a heavily modified version of Invision Power Board (1.3) - to this end, when they give you the SQL, they first need to convert it to a format where it is possible for it to be used/imported to IPB 1.3. This is the only format that they will give you a SQL dump in, which it takes them time to convert to.

Once you have that SQL dump though, all you need to do is to put it on a local mySQL server, and Impex should be able to deal with the data from thereon in.

Comment

According to my ticket I need to use something like MySQLDumper or ssh. My host has ssh from what I can tell but I need justification to use it (or something like that). So I thought I would try MySQLDumper first. Anyone used this? Is it any good? If it is just a case of uploading the sql file to my host (although I have a massive feeling it’s not as easy as that) where would I upload it too?

Man, when I have done this I am going to throw a party...lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Lpspider View Post
                        IF charges by the amount of posts your forum has. I exported one from them that has more than 50,000 posts and they charged me nearly $100.
                        Excuse me guys but i don't get it.

The owner of the forum has to ask from IF for a backup of the SQL?

Comment

Yes, invisionfree hosts all of the data.

Comment

I don't believe it!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 10600 View Post
                              I don't believe it!!!!

that's why it's free...

not to dog the service... but it's classic marketing... ya give em something for free... then you charge them if they get something out of it...

the biggest difference here is that instead of charging their customers for enjoying their service they are charging them for wanted to move away from it...

to be honest, while I dont feel it's ethical, I do think it's a brutal and good business strategy...

how else is a company going to make money off a free service other than to enjoy the profits of the DB converting service?

anyway, here is a good example of why I am happy that I never even flirted with the idea of using free services to get started with my own site... I jumped into VB feet first...

-----

as to the subject of the thread though: my suggestion, since you are working with a new site and a new db and everthing I would say go for it with trying the dump thing... the reason is, if it doesnt work you still have the sql backup on your hard drive... you can delete everything and start over fresh...

right now is one of those rare times where you can actually experiment with what you have and take some risks...

I think it's worth it to give it a shot
                              §èè¥ä§;
                              Sykko

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X