Integrating vBulletin into a java/jsp application using iFrame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integrating vBulletin into a java/jsp application using iFrame

I would like to have the forums show up on my home page inside a java/jsp application. I'm planning to use an iFrame to do this and just specify the src = url to display the content.

Is there a way to pass a username / password through the URL in order to login the user as some default user. I know I can use a cookie and set the cookie using my jsp application and then have vBulletin read that same cookie... (Is this really true?).

But I would like to just have one user created in vBulletin and then if a person is logged into my jsp application as one of many number of users, I just want vBulletin to know that this person should be allowed to see content that's only available to logged in users.

Thanks,
    Alex

This requires a lot of code hacking, and we cannot provide support for that. You will need to venture over to vbulletin.org to see if there is a way to achieve what you want.

One thing to keep in mind, however, please note that vBulletin -- or any web page (doesn't even need to be a software package) for that matter -- cannot be guarenteed to be able to access cookie information when it is bound within a frame / iframe. This is actually due to security settings on user's computer, and so there may be a lot of inherited problems as result of the proposed implementation. Perhaps it would be a better idea to extend your JSP application to verify against vBulletin's database, set the cookies, and wrap your style in header/footer template so it gives the impression that the user is still within your JSP application.
    Best Regards,
    Andy Huang

Comment

Andy,

I would also like to be able to integrate the login proceedure used by vBulletin to allow Forum subscribers to access certain parts of my web site. I do most of my coding for my site by hand using HTML but I do know some PHP and am familiar with "includes" that I assume are used for obtaining such access in my forum which I am still creating. Is there some snippet of code that I could add to each of my pages to check if a user is logged in and allow or deny/access and reroute to a login page? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Originally posted by Andy Huang View Post
      Perhaps it would be a better idea to extend your JSP application to verify against vBulletin's database, set the cookies, and wrap your style in header/footer template so it gives the impression that the user is still within your JSP application.

Comment

Sorry, due to lack of human resources, we cannot provide coding support here... You'd want to check over on vbulletin.org for assistance on that... You may wish to check over on this page to see how to create vb powered pages, which will be a start for integration: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62164
        Best Regards,
        Andy Huang

Comment

Thanks. I'll look it over. How does one go about registering with that forum? It doesn't appear to be part of vBulletin's.

Originally posted by Andy Huang View Post
          Sorry, due to lack of human resources, we cannot provide coding support here... You'd want to check over on vbulletin.org for assistance on that... You may wish to check over on this page to see how to create vb powered pages, which will be a start for integration: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62164

Comment

Register per normal, you will need to validate your license status by allowing us to share information with them here: http://members.vbulletin.com/membersupport_priority.php

Be sure to use the same email address (CaSE SenSTiVe) to register. The system automatically verifies around once every 1/2 hr, so it is not instant update.
            Best Regards,
            Andy Huang

Comment

So once I go to this link I will be able to use my regular vBulletin customer number and password to log into that forum also?

Comment

Read Andy's post again. Please register an account on vBulletin.org, and then add the email you registered with to the priority support list (in the supplied link) if it is not already there.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X