Looking for a forum but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a forum but...

My college doesn't have an official forum for all the students to hang out on so I'm working on presenting the Student Union with the idea. I wanted to know the ropes a little better before I actually jumped into the proposal. At the moment I am looking through different forums and setups. I had one major concern though.

Is there a way that I can do registration verification from a database of student numbers? Its mostly a security concern. I was hoping I could feed the forum with a list of student names and numbers and then they can register using their school id. That way we don't have any extra people wandering the boards.

If you have a CVS list of details you can turn off registration, and import using our free impex software, the cvs list and have users use those details to login. But then you have to manually add the new students. Or customize vBulletin (bridge) the internal login system from school.

You can make multiple usergroups and multiple forums. You can then use the permission system to allow everybody to register but only have access to a default forum, and upon verification you can upgrade their usergroup to get access to the rest.

You could also turn on registration, but put users into the moderation usergroup. (require staff to verify their account). vB has option for custom usergroups, they can enter their student id there, and staff could check name/email/student id and verify their account after which they have access to the forums.

Comment

That is a good solution but it would be a lot more convenient if there was a database of student names and numbers that the software could verify from upon registration.

Comment

If you know how to code PHP you can insert your verification code after the registration process, but before register complete, using one of the register hooks. But this is custom code you have to write yourself.

Comment

If you're up for alternative suggestions, you could allow anyone to register, but upon registration they would be placed into a group that would not be allowed to post, and that group would see a notification at the top of the forum telling them to e-mail [email protected], etc. with their student ID#, name, and user name.

If anyone who had access to student ID#'s, they could check them once an e-mail was received, then promote them into a group that was allowed to post.

Also, not sure if this is possible, but if it is you could restrict registrations to people using the school e-mail...

Comment

Originally posted by Strike Rouge View Post
            My college doesn't have an official forum for all the students to hang out on so I'm working on presenting the Student Union with the idea. I wanted to know the ropes a little better before I actually jumped into the proposal. At the moment I am looking through different forums and setups. I had one major concern though.

Is there a way that I can do registration verification from a database of student numbers? Its mostly a security concern. I was hoping I could feed the forum with a list of student names and numbers and then they can register using their school id. That way we don't have any extra people wandering the boards.
            I had someone design me a script that compares 3 fields in the profile to an excel file. If the 3 fields match they are moved to a special usergroup. I run it each month because the list changes. If the user is not in my excel file, they are moved out of the usergroup. It works quite well.
            ...steven
            www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
            bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
            "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X