Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help and questions before to buy, I have a phpbb2 Plus 1.53a!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help and questions before to buy, I have a phpbb2 Plus 1.53a!

Hi guys,

I am Mario from Mexico and I am very very interested in buy the VB software, but I have a little cuestion before do it.

Well I have a 3 years old forum is a phpbb2 Plus 1.53a 2.0.22 heavly modded for me with 2 templates and spanish translation, my forum have almost 1500 users and more or less 200,000 posts.

So I am very worried because I don´t know if it is very difficult import my phpbb2 Plus to a VB ? I see that I need the Impex Software, this one is included with my payment of the VB or I have to buy it separately ?

Is not risk to lost all my users and all my posts doing this ? also can I pay here to do this ?, I see that I have to do a little different process to convert my forum in VB, here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/med_large_import
    Because is a medium/large Forum, it have a huge DB, but I didn´t understand it very well that part.

Another little cuestions is the installation of the VB Mods are very similar than the phpbb mods ? or is different ?

Right now my forum is out of line because this last weekend was hacked, this is not the first time and my forum is very very important to me, so I want to have a more security forum and I know that VB is the correct one.

Thank you in advance for all your nice help and your recommendations.

Cheers,

Mario

What modifications does phpbb2 Plus 1.53a come with. I notice it had a security issue with 'Language File' and 'Acronym Mod', but you most likely already know as you were disabled from them.

Comment

ImpEx is available for free download once you purchase the software.

Also, modifications are installed much simpler with vBulletin. Instead of editing files via the FTP, vBulletin modifications usually are downloadable files which all you need to do is select for upload from your ACP and set the options. No file edits.

Also, once you are a member, if you have a problem with the import you can always open a support ticket from your Members' Area and have any questions you have answered quickly. Also, from what I hear, the manual is very straight-forward. Follow it and you should be fine; I've heard plenty of successful imports of forums even larger than yours.

Comment

Hi Jose,

Yes I already knew about that security isues and I installed the patchs, the Plus comes with lots of Mods, more or less I think 30 or 40, the problem is that is a phpbb2 and you know that this version is not updated right now.

Wow thanx a lot chaselafon, your words inspire me a lot to buy VB, so I will wait a little to hear more recomendations and then I will do the change.

The only thing that I don´t understand is this : http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/med_large_import
        Because is a medium/large Forum, it have a huge DB, but I didn´t understand it very well that part.

thank you again!

Mario
        Last edited by mariocaz; Wed 13 Feb '08, 9:08pm.

Comment

Hi, Mario,

The page you linked to is a suggestion, so it's not necessary. Don't worry, I really don't understand it either.

Also, be aware that you can ask the developers of the software and ImpEx questions here if you have any questions about the manual: http://www.vbulletin.com/contact_sales.php

Comment

Just installed phpbb2 Plus 1.53a to see what they have for modifications and was surprize that the front end looks pretty good for a free forum, but the admin/mod functions need to be refined. It kinda looks low-fi in the back end too, but I did like one thing and it is called 'CBACK CrackerTracker Security System' and thats about it.

Oh, I forgot to mention the Gallery looks so simular and I can not put my finger on where I seen it before... It will come to me later...

You can get everything except that one thing I like from www.vBulletin.org. The Gallery is already part of core script of vBulletin and I should of looked into more of the feature, but did not want to take a chance of someone getting into my forums right now.

Comment

Hi Jose,

Yes phpbb Plus is a great forum, the problem is that is a phpbb2 and now the new software is phpbb3 and also the security issues, my forum was hacked 3-4 times and I am tired, so I need something more secure.

My forum is a medium large forum and I see that I have to ask some things to my hosting to do the change with the Impex, I know that I need more SQL time (something like this) and more memory, but how much time and memory to do this change with a forum like mine ???, I need this information to ask it to my hosting provider.

And I need something else that you recommend me ?

Thank you a lot again friends!!

Mario

Comment

Originally posted by mariocaz View Post
                Hi Jose,

My forum is a medium large forum and I see that I have to ask some things to my hosting to do the change with the Impex, I know that I need more SQL time (something like this) and more memory, but how much time and memory to do this change with a forum like mine ???, I need this information to ask it to my hosting provider.

Mario
                Can you clarifiy this, as what were you ask about more? What type of hosting account did or do you have now.

I do not know if you can post anthing within this link below, but this is where most question about server configuration goes. Will see what was it of 'More' you need to know first.
                http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Comment

Hi Jose,

This is my hosting plan information:

http://www.xpress.com.mx/web-hosting...sting-xtra.php

thank you my friend!

Comment

Originally posted by mariocaz View Post
                    Hi Jose,

This is my hosting plan information:

thank you my friend!

I'm not fluent in reading Spanish ... but at the prices !
                    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...nium/logo4.png

Comment

Jejeje yes I think that is expensive, but here in Mexico is the cheapest hosting that I found.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X