Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose Amaral Rego
    replied
    I would start with a free forum board, then you can figure out what is it you really want to do. You might get buyer's remorse and you do not want to feel that and then just sell off the script. Start with phpbb3 and or Mybb and see how it goes, then if your site gets popular and you feel you are ready, then you should purchase vBulletin core script with vBulletin Blog.

Just try a free script and see if you like beening an admin and test the waters first.

Leave a comment:

• Tangie
    replied
    I intend to start a board as a help/advice forum/community.

I have now signed up with Bluehost.....now I'm off to purchase VBulletin.

I hope I'm not in over my head.

The support in the community forum seems pretty fantastic so maybe I consult with you guys when I get stuck?

Thanks for your help so far!

Leave a comment:

• sat123
    replied
    Bluehost,dreamhost,1and1,hostgator all those who give a good sized mysqldatabase,php 5 support vbulletin would be easily operated there.

Leave a comment:

• Mopquill
    replied
    Try HostRocket. Their new servers are pretty reliable, and their email support is pretty amazing. They even helped me with a PHP error I was having which later turned out to be the software's (not vBulletin) fault, and not their's.

Leave a comment:

• Jose Amaral Rego
    replied
    Bluehost? do not enter into any yearly contract with any host. You need to find a month to month hosting package, as if you have any problems with service, then you can move on to another host provider. You also should not purchase any domain name from a host you are using, cause they can hold your domain name hostage or increase the price beyond what your reach if they want choose to. That is if you start having problems with hosting services.

Leave a comment:

• Balthasorus
    replied
    Originally posted by Tangie View Post
    Hi there.

I'm a frequenter of message boards, but a complete novice and newbie to setting them up.

I am highly interested in purchasing VBulletin but upon initial inspection don't know if I'm in over my head. Would you recommend that I just jump in and try my best or is this a truly difficult thing to coordinate?

In a show of how much of a "novice" I am - I wanted to ask a few ?'s:

1. When purchasing some webspace for VB - is there any site that runs particularly well VB? How much space would you purchase?

2. Is MYSQL a programme I need to purchase seperately? Is it bundled in with my VB software? And do I need to install it seperately from another site?

I think thats it off the top of my head. Of course if you could be kind enough to share any "startup" tips and advice, I would be most greatful.

Thanks guys!

1. Bluehost.com

2. Bluehost provides everything you need to set it up as long as you have the knowledge of editing the code which is fairly easy.

Leave a comment:

• Jose Amaral Rego
    replied
    What is your plan? or what is you want to do with vBulletin. Do you just want it for bussiness and only open for customers or is it going to be some type of hobbie forum or something like FaceBook?

Leave a comment:

• Tangie
    started a topic Absolute Complete Novice

Absolute Complete Novice

Hi there.

I'm a frequenter of message boards, but a complete novice and newbie to setting them up.

I am highly interested in purchasing VBulletin but upon initial inspection don't know if I'm in over my head. Would you recommend that I just jump in and try my best or is this a truly difficult thing to coordinate?

In a show of how much of a "novice" I am - I wanted to ask a few ?'s:

1. When purchasing some webspace for VB - is there any site that runs particularly well VB? How much space would you purchase?

2. Is MYSQL a programme I need to purchase seperately? Is it bundled in with my VB software? And do I need to install it seperately from another site?

I think thats it off the top of my head. Of course if you could be kind enough to share any "startup" tips and advice, I would be most greatful.

Thanks guys!
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X