Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Vbulletin's "Rich-Text Editor" save pasted images locally?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PaulEscobar
    replied
    Originally posted by nexialys View Post
    It's a two options answer:

1- you can register to that site and ask questions in the pre-sales forum ... maybe the same kind of question so you will have the same answer from others... my evaluation is that someone will be able to give your hack for free as it is a small hack to do... i know that some similar code was made lately about evaluating the size of external images.. it's a quicky to add download of these images...

2- there is no relation between the services given on vb.org and this site here. people are sharing codes, some guys answer free requests, but that's all. you may even have to call for a paid job, but i would suggest you wait a while before doing so... your request is interesting, i'm sure someone will answer it for free... (some guys like me!)
    That's my inclination.
    I'd rather wait until I'm sure this can be done.
    And I'd rather not pay extra for this (for me anyways) essential feature.

My efforts are simply a volunteer service for my team-mates.
    So there's no rush.

Can you find a mod there which would suit you?
    They are free.

Not?

Someone has to take his time to code your special mod.
    Most probably it won't be free.
    I am browsing the "Vbulletin.Org" site.
    It's very big, and I'm not sure I can find a "mod" that accomplishes the feature required.

So most likely, I will just wait...and resort to Microsoft-OneNote to share information.

When VB, or someone creates such a "mod", I would be happy to purchase the VB license and set up a forum.

THANK YOU ALL FOR PARTICIPATING & HELPING ME.
    I MUST GO NOW, BUT I WILL CHECK BACK LATER FOR ANY FOLLOW-UP POSTS.

Best,
    Paul Escobar

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by PaulEscobar View Post
    Will I have to pay an extra fee to get this special "code" created?
    Or will it be done for free (given that I'll have a license)?
    Can you find a mod there which would suit you?
    They are free.
    Not?
    Someone has to take his time to code your special mod.
    Most probably it won't be free.

Leave a comment:

• nexialys
    replied
    Originally posted by PaulEscobar View Post
    It's a two options answer:

1- you can register to that site and ask questions in the pre-sales forum ... maybe the same kind of question so you will have the same answer from others... my evaluation is that someone will be able to give your hack for free as it is a small hack to do... i know that some similar code was made lately about evaluating the size of external images.. it's a quicky to add download of these images...

2- there is no relation between the services given on vb.org and this site here. people are sharing codes, some guys answer free requests, but that's all. you may even have to call for a paid job, but i would suggest you wait a while before doing so... your request is interesting, i'm sure someone will answer it for free... (some guys like me!)

Leave a comment:

• Chazel
    replied
    Mid-double-digits is my guess.

Leave a comment:

• PaulEscobar
    replied
    Originally posted by chaselafon View Post
    Yes, you do.

And when I was referring to other software, I was referring to forum software.
    Okay.

Do you guys have any idea how much a VB programmer would charge for this type of stuff? (single-digits? double-digits? triple-digits?)

I'd rather stick with ONENOTE and Microsoft, if this feature would require additional hundreds of dollars (on top of the VB license).

Leave a comment:

• Chazel
    replied
    Yes, you do.

And when I was referring to other software, I was referring to forum software.

Leave a comment:

• PaulEscobar
    replied
    vBulletin, nor any other software is capable of doing this.

I know there is a modification available that allows you to run a image hosting area from your forum, but there's nothing that will automatically convert it.

If this is essential, I'd recommend requesting a programmer here:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

As I said before, a forum sounds essential to your needs, but no software fits that prerequisite.
    Well, Microsoft's OneNote does convert any pasted foreign-image into a locally hosted file.
    But I take your point that web-software may not be able to do this.

As to the link you provided, I cannot access the forum.
    But I also accept your point about requiring extra programming help.

your feature can easily be coded by someone at http://vbulletin.org *(the modifications site) ... it is not a by-default feature, but may need like 10 lines of code to be automated... (even after what chaselafon said...)

so your choice may be easy to make... vBulletin can answer your request, you just need to do the exact same request at the code site and they will sure do it once you are licensed..
    Thank you for your response!

But I'm a bit confused about "Vbulletin.Org".
    From what I've read, I get access to the "Vbulletin.Org" site, after purchasing the VB software

Leave a comment:

• nexialys
    replied
    your feature can easily be coded by someone at http://vbulletin.org *(the modifications site) ... it is not a by-default feature, but may need like 10 lines of code to be automated... (even after what chaselafon said...)

so your choice may be easy to make... vBulletin can answer your request, you just need to do the exact same request at the code site and they will sure do it once you are licensed..

Leave a comment:

• Chazel
    replied
    vBulletin, nor any other software is capable of doing this.

I know there is a modification available that allows you to run a image hosting area from your forum, but there's nothing that will automatically convert it.

If this is essential, I'd recommend requesting a programmer here:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

As I said before, a forum sounds essential to your needs, but no software fits that prerequisite.

Leave a comment:

• Can Vbulletin's "Rich-Text Editor" save pasted images locally?

Before reading, let me say...

My question is very simple.

But it begs alot of explanation.
    Which is why I've typed so much.
    Feel free to just read the red-lettered parts, to get the quick-version of my question.

My Personal Background...

I am a "potential customer", not looking for "support instructions".

I work in the Oil and Gas industry.
    I'm used to working with Microsoft's ONENOTE program.
    But my co-workers are not familiar with this software.

So I'm thinking of creating a forum.
    We'd share general articles and research, in an easy manner.

But there's a certain prerequisite the forum-software must have.

My Problem...

Vbulletin has a great "rich text editor".

It's a real time saver, and is easy to use.
    You can avoid html coding and even "bbcode".
    It allows users to copy from outside sources, while pasting with images and formatting intact.

I notice that the pasted images tend to be hotlinked (files hosted on foreign sites). If the foreign site goes down, the images can disappear from a post.

Since I want to use the forum as a database, this is troublesome.

What I need...

When pasting into the "rich text editor"...
    I'd like the images to be AUTOMATICALLY converted/re-hosted on my own local site.

I know there are "image hosts".
    But many users of my forum will not be familiar with image-code and image-hosts.

If the rich text editor can simply convert their pasted foreign-images into locally-hosted images...it would save alot of time.

Is Vbulletin capable of doing this?
    Last edited by PaulEscobar; Tue 5 Feb '08, 1:38pm.