Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Same site, two boards: database linkable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same site, two boards: database linkable?

Hello vbb staff,

I am pretty new to the forum building. I have some questions to ask. Hope you guys can help me out.

I have a site and I want to run two or three boards on the site, as follow:

www.mysite.org/board_1
    www.mysite.org/board_2
    www.mysite.org/board_3

My questions are:

1. Are the login database linkable? Example, Bill login-ed board_1 means Bill doesnt have to login again at board_2 and board_3. One login = all 3 logins.

2. Do I have to pay you guys the price of 3 boards or just one?

3. How much would it costs.

That's it for now. Thanks.

Originally posted by HelloWorld View Post
    Hello vbb staff,

I am pretty new to the forum building. I have some questions to ask. Hope you guys can help me out.

I have a site and I want to run two or three boards on the site, as follow:

www.mysite.org/board_1
    www.mysite.org/board_2
    www.mysite.org/board_3

My questions are:

1. Are the login database linkable? Example, Bill login-ed board_1 means Bill doesnt have to login again at board_2 and board_3. One login = all 3 logins.

2. Do I have to pay you guys the price of 3 boards or just one?

3. How much would it costs.

That's it for now. Thanks.
    You'd have to buy three licenses for that. If you purchase all of them at the same time, it will cost you $148.00 each.

If you want to have multiple log-ins, you'd have to run a script that updates the users table, so the data is all three databases. You'll have to update the cookie path so it will available for the three installations.

However, if you allow me to give my opinion... that'd be an unnecessary hassle and you'd pay unnecessary money. You can have three different sections in the same board, with a common main page. If you want to have human friendly entry urls for those sections, you can set up a redirect. Say, if your first section is forumdisplay.php?f=1, you can set up a redirect from board_1 to that. That'd be even more user friendly, since users will see the full breadcum, and will have an easier time switching from section to section.

Read http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103150 for more information on when you need multiple licenses.
    "War doesn't determine who is right. Only who is left" Bertran Russel.

Comment

soypod,

Thank you for your detailed post. It was very helpful. 148/piece is a bit more expensive than I can manage at the moment. I thought about putting all the three under the same roof but it would be way too lengthy and not fitting, culture wise.

I will ponder over the issue for the next few days. Thank you, again, for you time and consideration.

Comment

What you can do,

make your three sites, Link them all to the 1 forum you purchase.

But then make the 3 different sections. But if you dont want "Site A" to see Site B and C then you can change that in the usergroup permissions.

I would have 1 common area of the forum. Then have a Public joinable usergroups, Depending on the usergroup they join, will make different sections appear.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X