Just a couple of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a couple of questions

Hello, I'm interested buying vBulletin, just want to know a couple of things.

1) If I buy an owned license, can I only install it only once. In other words, if I install vbulletin, uninstalled it, then installed it again, while only having one forum with the same content, can I do that? I am not so sure if the webhost I'll use is the one I'll stick with, and I would rather not just MOVE the forums to the new server once I installed it. I want to test it out first on the host that I'm using. I would much rather, uninstall, then install again, but on my new webhost.

2) Can someone just recommend a good webhost that provides PHP 5.1.2 or later, MySQL 5.0.19 or later, has unlimited MySQL space, and is just an overall great webhost for vbulletin? I understand that the staff can't suggest any, but can anyone that isn't a part of the staff recommend one that they use? I want my forum to start out medium sized, but leave room to grow into a very large community.

Thanks.

1) As far as I undestand it, you can have at any moment one site (public) and one test install (password protected and name testvb/). So as long as you remove the old content, you should be all right (also, remember changing hosts is not the same as changin URL).

2) I've had my medium sized vb board running in two hosts without any performance problem: midphase (I had no problems, even if they were obviously overselling their servers), and downtownhost (which is my current option).
    "War doesn't determine who is right. Only who is left" Bertran Russel.

Comment

#1: you can move your forum anywhere you want... the only detail is that if you change the domain you will have to update your informations in the members area.

#2: we can't provide a list of efficient hosts for your site... you can read the reviews here:
      http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11
      or there:
      http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=197
      oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

Originally posted by defzeppelin View Post
        Hello, I'm interested buying vBulletin, just want to know a couple of things.

1) If I buy an owned license, can I only install it only once. In other words, if I install vbulletin, uninstalled it, then installed it again, while only having one forum with the same content, can I do that? I am not so sure if the webhost I'll use is the one I'll stick with, and I would rather not just MOVE the forums to the new server once I installed it. I want to test it out first on the host that I'm using. I would much rather, uninstall, then install again, but on my new webhost.

2) Can someone just recommend a good webhost that provides PHP 5.1.2 or later, MySQL 5.0.19 or later, has unlimited MySQL space, and is just an overall great webhost for vbulletin? I understand that the staff can't suggest any, but can anyone that isn't a part of the staff recommend one that they use? I want my forum to start out medium sized, but leave room to grow into a very large community.

Thanks.
        I use a Hostgator dedicated server and that's served me pretty well plus their support is pretty good. I know that you can only have one install per license, does anyone know if you can have multiple installs on the same domain.

For example en.domain.com and fr.domain.com or would you need 2 licenses for that?

Comment

Hello,

One license per install, but yes if you have multiple licenses you can have multiple installs on the same domain. Each would need to be installed in their own directory, and each would need a unique cookie prefix set in the config.php files so they don't interfere with each other. Each should also be installed into their own database as well.

If en.domain.com and fr.domain.com show different content then yes it requires two licenses.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X