Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goranbaxy View Post
    Is there a free convertor SMF => VB?
    And where can it be found, I need also instructions how to convert from SMF to VB, I have decided to buy VB.
    Please give me some info about how to convert my forum, thanks!
    ImpEx is the vBulletin convertor that you can download from the members area after purchasing a license. And yes, ImpEx is free but you need a valid license to get it.
    http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

O.K., Thanks!

Comment

Note: there's no support for SMF passwords in the converter. All your users will have to reset their passwords which can be seriously problematic especially if you have a lot of registered members on your site.

Comment

Uff, Yes I do have lot of users, this if just might be a no to VB.

Comment

I wouldn't view it as a showstopper personally. Just notify your users that you're changing forum software. Make the switch to vB. Then, send out a mass email with a link to the password reset page.
            Midlothian High School Alumni

Comment

noobie here.

I recently installed SMF but then found this software. I was wondering why people upgrade to vBulletin? Am I wasting my time with SMF???

Comment

Originally posted by argus View Post
                I wouldn't view it as a showstopper personally. Just notify your users that you're changing forum software. Make the switch to vB. Then, send out a mass email with a link to the password reset page.
                Is there option in VB to do that, reset all the passwords and send it to mail?

Comment

Originally posted by argus View Post
                  Is there option in VB to do that, reset all the passwords and send it to mail?
                  Not quite that easy. Although, I'm not 100% proficient at vBulletin, so there may be an easier way.

All I was recommending is that you send a mass email to all users. vB allows you to do this via the admin panel. Here is a link that provides a good example: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_passwords

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Comment

This is quite an easy way to do it, it will not send them a pass but will a link to restore a new pass. I had some bad experience on last hosting provider while sending massive I hope I will not now, I'll contact them before doing so.

Comment

If you fear the mass email may fail, it would be a good idea to change the Guest Welcome phrase as well (see attached). The Admin CP allows you to customize this phrase as well as all other phrases.

For instance, you can change the guest message to something such as "We recently upgraded our forum software to the best available! If you are an existing member, please click here to reset your password. If you are a new member, please click here to register. Thanks!"

Of course, you would ensure those "here" links above are real and point to your own forum's password reset and registration pages.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Yes, that's also nice idea! Thanks.
                        But what if I buy vb and for some reason I can import it to my old forum, what then? Will I be waisting my $160?

Comment

where is the guest welcome phrase located
                          so i can change it

daniel d

Comment

Yes, that's also nice idea! Thanks.
                            But what if I buy vb and for some reason I can import it to my old forum, what then? Will I be waisting my $160?
                            All I can say is I've seen plenty of people here that previously used SMF. I'm assuming their conversion was successful.

Originally posted by double_d View Post
                            where is the guest welcome phrase located
                            so i can change it
                            Here. Be sure to ask any further support questions in the appropriate forum though. Believe the mods like to keep this one for pre-sales questions only.

Comment