Normalize one illegal instalation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normalize one illegal instalation

If vbulletin detect one website running pirate version of vbulletin and clain the host to remove it, what the websmaster can do to normalize the situation?

Simple, go to vbulletin.com and register one license. Done? Nothing more? No other issue?

ps: one friend is in this situation and want the solution fast.

Thank you!

If you are found to be using an illegal copy of vBulletin the ONLY 2 options you have if you do not wish to undergo legal actions are to either remove the installation OR purchase a legal license and REPLACE the installations "files"
    http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

He must purchase a license, and replace the current files. Once done, he should contact his host, provide them with his license number and forum url, so that the hosting provider can contact us and verify the license to be correct and in place.
      Best Regards,
      Andy Huang

Comment

So everyone can run a illegal vb installation until they get caught and be absolutely fine... wish I knew that earlier . I actually thought you guys might delete content.

On saying that i've thought of something; what if people are only charged if their site receives a certain amount of traffic? I'm sure most of the profits are from over-optimistic fools, but with rivals like SMF coming to light a new way of doing things is going to be vital. Like top 200K of Alexa for example, or even by PageRank(3+?). Besides you aren't going to catch anyone with a small site really unless you put a team on payroll... which would be more expensive? (30K per staff >= 300 vb licenses )

An influx of users would also push the mod community much further, the community may start doing all the work of upgrading... thats what Web 2.0 is all about isn't it, using the users without them knowing it. Not even going into the Snowball effect.
        Last edited by MrApples; Sat 29 Dec '07, 1:06pm.

Comment

No, you're not allowed to run illegal vB installation until you get caught. It's illegal and will result you in very serious legal issues if you proceed in that mindset.

Generally speaking, we do wish to see people convert their illegal copy to a properly licensed copy, therefore, we offer what help we can to help them ease the transition process as opposed to push them to the competitors.

Everyone has an equaly high chance of being caught. Whether or not they are offered to have the chance to purchase the software depending on the degree of violation. There are people who got served papers before, for example; and there are also people who lost their hard work built forum, as well. Just because you don't hear them cry about it here doesn't mean it doesn't happen We don't discuss what our course of actions are when a pirated site comes to our attention, as there are legality and privacy obligations we must up hold. However, rest assured that every report is being looked into, and we are actively keeping an eye out for pirated sites.
          Best Regards,
          Andy Huang

Comment

So your saying something separates this individual where he may purchase safely? What degrees go beyond running an illegal copy, aside from distributing and multiple-copies. Running a illegal copy without a copyright?

I'll be putting my other comment in a new thread also.

Comment

Running a pirated version of vBulletin is never a wise idea.

I don't know if the staff can confirm this, but from what I've heard you have a set amount of time before Jelsoft contacts your host about your illegal installation. If you happen to be away from the computer during that time, you're host might wipe all of your data.

Also be aware that if you're running a public vBulletin website that you have a very high chance of being reported, even if there's no evidence that you're running an illegal installation.

I report sites I think are running a nulled version of vBulletin, and I know there are people who report every vBulletin forum they come across. After it's reported, it's as simple as a database check to see if your URL is even listed with a license, and if it's not then they proceed to contact you.

Be assured that if your forum reaches one hundred members you will be reported.

Comment

Yeah I'm sure a lot are reported, it's very easy to report things. Just like it's very easy to make suggestions. Doesn't mean anything will result from it.

All I'm saying is that someone was just told they could pay the money and continue on scott-free. With that logic, what stops people from going illegally until they are caught aside from their superego and love for Jelsoft. Most people who wouldn't pay can't pay, or at least it would be difficult, or they ought to have their content deleted. Not given back if they pay, that's dealing with criminals isn't it?

I report sites I think are running
                There's another problem. Where is this form anyway I'd like to start putting random sites in. Do you consider it a hobby
                Last edited by MrApples; Sat 29 Dec '07, 7:07pm.

Comment

Originally posted by MrApples View Post
                  There's another problem. Where is this form anyway I'd like to start putting random sites in. Do you consider it a hobby
                  lol. Reports MrApples' and Chaselafon's sites,

Sometimes, owners of a pirated vB may not realize it is pirated until a complaint is put in, and I think that is where Jelsofts policy is quite fair.

Comment

I hardly stated that I reported every site, but I do report ones I suspect are running a pirated version of vBulletin.

For instance, if the original poster had a link to his forum in his signature, I'd report it.

Comment

We do not disclose the action we take. And we do take action. Intentionally breaking our license agreement may result in legal steps being taken against the person doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by MrApples View Post

Where is this form anyway I'd like to start putting random sites in.

http://www.vbulletin.com/piracy.php

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X