Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foiling Troublemakers? ? ?

Greetings,

I run a web Forum using PHPBB 2.0.22. It's nice, but I need something that can become more secure. Recently we have been experiencing what can only be called "attacks" from a disgruntled former member. He keeps registering using the foulest names he can imagine. And, he tries to use names that openly insult other members of my Forum. He can't post anymore trash, but his registrations keep showing up as the newest registered member out in the open for anyone to see.

Is there a way to prevent the "Newest Registered Member" from displaying on the Forum in vBulletin? This guy just won't stop. So, I had to resort to placing a single asterisk '*' in the disallow names list to prevent any new members from registering. But, that prevents any new members from registering, so it is a temporary fix at best.

Can I handle this idiot using your vBulletin Forum?

Thanks,

Dave

human behavior can't be controled only by softwares, secure or not... one day he will stop... or he have no life, call the cops!...
    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

Originally posted by nexialys View Post
      human behavior can't be controled only by softwares, secure or not... one day he will stop... or he have no life, call the cops!...

Can't. The guy hasn't really done anything serious, so I don't know what the charge would be, or if he could be charged at all. He hasn't committed fraud or stolen anything. I just want to prevent the newly registered member names from displaying for all to see.

Comment

Originally posted by StarryNightDave View Post
        Can't. The guy hasn't really done anything serious, so I don't know what the charge would be, or if he could be charged at all. He hasn't committed fraud or stolen anything. I just want to prevent the newly registered member names from displaying for all to see.
        I believe you can turn that off, if not, I'm almost sure that you can remove "Newest Member" via templates.
        Couldn't find it via vBulletin Options, but it probably is a simple template edit.

Yeah, it's very simple. Just remove this in FORUMHOME if you decide to purchase vBulletin:
        <div><phrase 1="member.php?$session[sessionurl]u=$newuserid" 2="$newusername">$vbphrase[welcome_to_our_newest_member_x]</phrase></div>
        Last edited by SNN; Fri 21 Dec '07, 6:36am.

Comment

Originally posted by SNN View Post
          I believe you can turn that off, if not, I'm almost sure

that you can remove "Newest Member" via templates.
          Couldn't find it via vBulletin Options, but it probably is a simple template edit.

Yeah, it's very simple. Just remove this in FORUMHOME if you decide to purchase vBulletin:
          <div><phrase 1="member.php?$session[sessionurl]u=$newuserid" 2="$newusername">$vbphrase[welcome_to_our_newest_member_x]</phrase></div>

Thanks!

Comment

Turn off registrations for an unspecified amount of time, he'll see that registrations aren't open anymore and he will most likely leave, if he comes back after you have reopened registrations, close it again. There are other remedies of course, but thats the most effective.

Or better yet, call his ISP and see what they do.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X