Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting Mybb 1.2.10 to vB

Hi,

I hope to purchase a license for Vb, however I just want to get some feedback relating to my situation:

I currently run Mybb 1.2.10 (latest version) and I want to convert to vB. Are there any problems that I should be aware of? I want to minimise downtime of my source forum and so i was wondering how long such a conversion 'typically' takes? I know it depends on many factors but in your experience would you say it could be done in a few hours, half a day, longer? I have 250,000 posts (apprx) and I simply want to convert to vB.

I am a little worried about the possibility of losing/damaging posts during this process - I have read the guidlines and they seem a little daunting on first read. I was wondering how I would go about performing a test conversion - is it simply a case of backing up my forum (via CPanel? phpadmin?) and then performing the conversion using the backup?

I am also worried about bbcodes messing up - I know you have cleaner.php(?), is this reliable?

Thanks for any advise, pointers
    Last edited by peterska2; Thu 20 Dec '07, 9:06am.

We recommend doing a test import first so that any issues can be ironed out and so that you have an idea of how long the import takes. Once you are confident to perform the import then you can do it again with the most upto date data.

We can also guide you through using cleaner.php where required.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback,

Can I just clarify that I can use my source forums backup to the the test import, whilst leaving the source forum open for posting - then if all goes well with the test, I then can close my source forum and do a live conversion?

Apologies, but I just want to be absolutely sure and all.

Cheers.

Comment

You would have to restore that test backup to a live database, but yes you can do that.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks Steve, I think i'll do a test conversion using a back-up and then discard that test conversion and do the real one (which would require closure of my source forum during this process) if that test attempt goes well.

Cheers.

Comment

(I hope this isn't considered a bump which is frowned against - it's just that my above circumstances have changed as I am now ready to test import.):

I've just purchased a vB license and have read the manual here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_module_dump

Can I just clarify a few things?

1) I want to do a test import first so that I can leave my board running just in case something goes wrong. Now, do I use a backup done in Cpanel or in myphpadmin?

2) The members area has this notice:
            To enable this option we require you to enter the URL of where your forums are installed or where you intend to install them. Please use the Edit License or Submit URL links.
            However I want the conversion to be in the same place (same url) where my current forum is - How can I install vB on this url to do a test conversion, when my current board is still live?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

1.The only consistently reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. This is because backing up with a PHP script like that in the Admin CP or phpMyAdmin can result in PHP timeout errors and an incomplete backup file.

Please see the instructions here:

Backup:
              http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...nce_ssh_backup

Restore:
              http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...ce_ssh_restore

If you don't have telnet or SSH access, some people have reported success with these scripts:

MySQLDumper:
              http://www.mysqldumper.de/en/index.php

MySQLHotxcopy:
              http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...t=mysqlhotcopy

2. You have to install the test vB in a different directory. You cannot install it in the same place you have your live vB.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                1.The only consistently reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. This is because backing up with a PHP script like that in the Admin CP or phpMyAdmin can result in PHP timeout errors and an incomplete backup file.

Please see the instructions here:

Backup:
                http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...nce_ssh_backup

Restore:
                http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...ce_ssh_restore

If you don't have telnet or SSH access, some people have reported success with these scripts:

MySQLDumper:
                http://www.mysqldumper.de/en/index.php

MySQLHotxcopy:
                http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...t=mysqlhotcopy
                OK, thanks, I will download mysqldumper and backup that way.

2. You have to install the test vB in a different directory. You cannot install it in the same place you have your live vB.
                That makes sense, but what about when I come to do the 'real' conversion -will I have to install vb in a different directory or can I place it in the '/forums' directory which I currently use for Mybb?

Cheers.

Comment

When you do the real conversion you need to do it on the live vB.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

The live vB which I assume will be in the same directory as the current mybb forum (so I don't have to tell my users that the forum has been moved to a new URL)..basically I want to preserve the same URL location.

But I think I know what you mean, thanks for your help for now.

Comment

I would not put vB in the same directory. What I would do is create a seprate directory, then once the import is done and everything is set, just change the mybb and vB directory names as you want them to be.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

OK, thanks Steve that makes alot of sense and is much clearer.

At the moment I'm trying to install vB - but I'm stuck at step 3 but it says i've got a database error:

Database error in vBulletin :
                        Cannot use database forum
                        MySQL Error : Access denied for user 'lostco00_vbul'@'localhost' to database 'forum'
                        Error Number : 1044
                        Date : Friday, December 21st 2007 @ 02:42:50 PM
                        Script : http://www.abc123abc123/forum/instal...all.php?step=3
                        Referrer : http://www.abc123abc123/forum/instal...all.php?step=2
                        IP Address : xx.xx.xxx.xx
                        Username :
                        Classname : vb_database
                        Should I submit a ticket for this, or can anyone advise what I've done wrong I don't know why it's saying that I have no access to the DB when I successfully created it and given user all priveledges?

(above script/referrer edited out for the purpose of security)

EDIT:
                        I resolved the above mentioned problem - turns out I didn't include the DB prefix
                        Last edited by Revolution Yes; Fri 21 Dec '07, 1:18pm.

Comment

Confused

I've uploaded vB and Impex - I've also downloaded a backup of my source board which I want to test import - however it appears that there is no option for me to import the backup, only the live source board?

I'm currently at the import Module 001 'Check & Update Database' stage. However I can't run the module as it brings up this message which I cannot advance from:

Altering tables

ImpEx will now Alter the tables in the vB database to include import id numbers.
                          This is needed during the import process for maintaining refrences between the tables during an import.If you have large tables (i.e. lots of posts) this can take some time.

They will also be left after the import if you need to link back to the origional vB userid.

moderator - importmoderatorid OK
                          usergroup - importusergroupid OK
                          ranks - importrankid OK
                          poll - importpollid OK
                          forum - importforumid OK
                          forum - importcategoryid OK
                          user - importuserid OK
                          style - importstyleid OK
                          thread - importthreadid OK
                          post - importthreadid OK
                          thread - importforumid OK
                          smilie - importsmilieid OK
                          pmtext - importpmid OK
                          customavatar - importcustomavatarid OK
                          customprofilepic - importcustomprofilepicid OK
                          post - importpostid OK
                          attachment - importattachmentid OK
                          pm - importpmid OK
                          usernote - importusernoteid OK
                          phrase - importphraseid OK
                          subscription - importsubscriptionid OK
                          subscriptionlog - importsubscriptionlogid OK

Valid found tables :

Possibly custom tables or incorrect prefix :

adminlog NOT found.
                          adminoptions NOT found.
                          announcements NOT found.
                          attachments NOT found.
                          attachtypes NOT found.
                          awaitingactivation NOT found.
                          badwords NOT found.
                          banned NOT found.
                          events NOT found.
                          favorites NOT found.
                          forumpermissions NOT found.
                          forums NOT found.
                          forumsubscriptions NOT found.
                          helpdocs NOT found.
                          helpsections NOT found.
                          moderatorlog NOT found.
                          moderators NOT found.
                          polls NOT found.
                          pollvotes NOT found.
                          posts NOT found.
                          privatemessages NOT found.
                          profilefields NOT found.
                          reportedposts NOT found.
                          reputation NOT found.
                          searchlog NOT found.
                          settinggroups NOT found.
                          settings NOT found.
                          smilies NOT found.
                          templates NOT found.
                          templatesets NOT found.
                          themes NOT found.
                          threadratings NOT found.
                          threads NOT found.
                          threadsread NOT found.
                          userfields NOT found.
                          usergroups NOT found.
                          users NOT found.
                          usertitles NOT found.
                          icons NOT found.

If you have all red tables, i.e. none correct this could possible be your table prefix :

mkp_gallery_ Failed Check database permissions and connection, or table prefix to ensure its correct
                          My current concerns (well, two of many):

1). (currently) I only want to test import my backup - this feels very 'live' to me
                          2). How would I begin to resolve the above?

Does anyone have any ideas?
                          Last edited by Revolution Yes; Fri 21 Dec '07, 6:16pm. Reason: added extra info

Comment

You are most likely using a table prefix for your MyBB database and did not add that to the source prefix setting in ImpExConfig.php.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Thankyou once again Steve, that was indeed the problem.

Can I just ask something else:

If my current forum is at (for example) www.abc123.com/forums and my import is at www.abc123.com/forum (NOT forums), how do I move it to the original /forums URL without breaking the import and so that my members do not have to learn a new URL?

I know you covered this above, but can I clarify whether it really is as simple as changing the vBulletin directory to /forums and the Mybb directory to something else?

Thanks for all of your time and help Steve.
                              Last edited by Revolution Yes; Sun 23 Dec '07, 2:53am. Reason: typo

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X