Two sites, one user table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two sites, one user table

I know this question has been asked a few times, but each time that I've found it it's been asked in conjunction with sharing sessions/cookies between the domains.

Can I install vBulletin on two separate domains and share the user database? I have no need to share sessions or cookies.

Also, does vBulletin have any list of certified or approved developers to help with migration from an existing discussion board to vBulletin? I can do it myself but I have other things that are higher priority. If there is someone I can hire I can get proceed sooner.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

No, sharing user databases is currently not possible with default vbulletin code.

And once you order vbulletin you get access to Impex, which is the fully supported import script. Depending on what board you are importing from, it should be painless. Jerry is also fantastic with support, should you encounter problems.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

The lack of sharing the user database is kind of a show stopper for me.

I'll look at the plug-in solution that's been mentioned a few times but was really hoping to keep a clean installation to avoid issues during upgrades. I guess I'm stuck with the limitations of Snitz for a while longer.

Comment

Modification of vBulletin code would most certainly be required. But if you use the same server (and database), you could manipulate the code for your second installation (on a second license!) to use the first user database. But that in itself would require major coding.

Comment

You can do a find-replace on the files from the second installation , when they are in the same database to use the table from the first installation , a good multi-file file replace engine took me about 2 min to do so

Comment

im hoping this feature will be in 4.0 because right now its alot of code and work

ipb has already started doing this, so im at least hoping jelsoft does to compete if anything

Comment

I really need this feature... we are looking to grow our network of sites and this would sincerely help us move forward.
              Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X