Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions...

Hello,

I'm running a big SMF 1.1.4 forum (900k posts). Database size is like 1GB (including search indexes, 400MB without). My forum is set to UTF-8 and foreign characters are in use a lot. I had a lot troubles as recently was moving to a new server and almost lost all special characters encoding but somehow managed to fix this with some tricks.

Now I would like to change my script to vBulletin so please tell me is there big chance to encounter problems with converting my database to vB, keeping in mind my data is UTF-8 ? I'd like to be 100% sure I wont lose any encoding durring the process, before I pay for the script. How about user names, and their passwords, it will be converted as well ?

SMF is quite light script if it comes to server load, and mysql use, how about vBulettin, is it the same or I will need a better server? I'm on shared so you know, my possibilities are kinda limited.

Not being an experienced VB users as some members here, i can only answer one of your questions.

The members usernames will be converted no problem, but their passwords will not be converted. They will need to create a new password the first time they log in. They will need to click forgot password to reset it.

Hopefully someone can answer your other questions now its been bumped

Comment

Originally posted by pattyb View Post
      SMF is quite light script if it comes to server load, and mysql use, how about vBulettin, is it the same or I will need a better server? I'm on shared so you know, my possibilities are kinda limited.
      I run vBulletin in a shared environment without problems. Of course it will depend on the amount of concurrent visits you have.
      "War doesn't determine who is right. Only who is left" Bertran Russel.

Comment

By default, vBulletin will use slightly more CPU power per pageload because it has more functionality than SMF. If you disable certain features (such as showing which users are looking at a thread, etc) you'll be able to get the usage down to around what SMF has.

If your hosting provider caches PHP (most do), then there is barely a difference if you were to compare it with SMF.

But, personally, I think that vB scales better than SMF. It uses resources more efficiently than SMF. I run a shared hosting company and have a few big vB forums. Disabling un-needed features is the key.
        vBulletin customer since February 27 2005!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X