Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up vBulletin before converting

Hi all,

We - like many others here - currently run a phpBB-board that we are looking to convert to vBulletin. I have done the demo-version and its looks great. I also have experience on the user-side of vBulletin-boards, so I have a fair idea of what this type of board can do.

As our forum is very busy (about 20.000-30.000 pageviews per day), I would like to make the transition to vBulletin as smooth and short as possible. Therefore my question: is it possible to set up vBulletin in a subfolder, adjust layout, tweak settings and only then import the databases? That way our current forum could stay online throughout the setup phase, going down only for the actual migration of the database.

I have looked at eva2000's suggestions for a succesful migration and that looks like a great manual. But I am asking the question here to be absolutely sure that what I have in mind is a possible scenario.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
    Fintan

Yes, you can do that.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I would recommend also running several trial imports (copies of your liveforum) on the test site before taking it down, to get familiar with the process and iron out any bugs you might see, so you have it all set for the real migration.

Comment

Originally posted by WildEye View Post
        I would recommend also running several trial imports (copies of your liveforum) on the test site before taking it down, to get familiar with the process and iron out any bugs you might see, so you have it all set for the real migration.
        Thanks for the quick replies Steve and WildEye. I was indeed also wondering whether I could do test-migrations, so that question is answered now too

Comment

How is the conversation done though?

Comment

It would be handled via ImpEx, our importing tool for all licensed clients:
            http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex
            Best Regards,
            Andy Huang

Comment

Originally posted by fintan74 View Post
              Therefore my question: is it possible to set up vBulletin in a subfolder, adjust layout, tweak settings and only then import the databases? That way our current forum could stay online throughout the setup phase, going down only for the actual migration of the database.
              That is the ideal and advised way to do an import.

Once you have set it up, take a back up of the vBulletin database then run a test import, once you have done that and seen what needs to be done after the import (and timed it), you can restore to the backup you took and plan the live cross over with the knowledge of the time and process ahead.
              I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                That is the ideal and advised way to do an import.

Once you have set it up, take a back up of the vBulletin database then run a test import, once you have done that and seen what needs to be done after the import (and timed it), you can restore to the backup you took and plan the live cross over with the knowledge of the time and process ahead.
                Thanks for your response also, Jerry. In the mean time I have purchased vBulletin, installed it parallel to our current board and have done a large part of the tweaking and setting. If I do a test-migration, will the old database be hampered during the migration? Can it remain live, with the risk of users and/or posts being added while the migration is in progress?

Comment

The source database is not altered by the import process.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                    The source database is not altered by the import process.
                    That was quick Good to hear that I can play around with everything while the old board stays up. Thanks again for the great help so far.

Comment

After downloading ImpEx and reading the documentation I found the following remark in the manual:

ImpEx only ever reads from a source board it will never alter source data. Though running an import against source data that is being updated can have some strange outcomes for the import as well as the source board, also it will cause a lot of load on the source boards database and could impair the performance of your source boards community.
                      I have added it here for the sake of completeness. Of course I have now first backed up the primary database and will be doing the test-migration from the backup.

Comment

For convenience you should also backup the "clean" vbulletin database, for easy restore to "new" after each import of the old forum.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X