Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of switching to vbulletin (for the 3rd time..sort of)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of switching to vbulletin (for the 3rd time..sort of)

Hi. I own the website www.customizepsp.co.uk. We are currently on phpBB. I used to be on a vbulletin which somebody bought for me and alowing me to use it. The traitor then sold the forum and everything with it for $500 (it was doing really well aswell...). Left without hope a mate of mine said i could use his forum which was vbulletin. Soon after settling in I found out that the guy was running the forum illegally (we both don't know why but we accepted it). So that takes us to where we are now at phpbb. We are doing quite well, we've been open for a little over 3 weeks i think and haver over 1500 members.

The thing is, I don;t know weather to wait until it get more popular then get a vbulletin (so i know that gettin a vbulletin won't be a waste of time) or get a vbulletin in hope that the website will get more popular..Now you're probably going to tell me the latter, just so you can make a sale :P (joking). Ive readu its really easy to transfer phpbb to vbulletin so now trouble with that.

I plan on gettin the owned forum, so just to clarify, i pay $160 (that's the price right?) then i don't ever have to pay anythin againg (unless i want to upgrade) and I can keep the forum for ever aswell?

Also how much money do you think ill be able to generate with a vbulletin..through ads i think is the main way.

We are talking quite a lot of money here ($160+) so i might need tofind a way to raise that, or unless im really persuaded i can pay it out of my own pocket.

thanks

Firstly, id say 1500 members is a good point to upgrade to vBulletin

Secondly, yes, $160 is the price as far as I know.

Thirdly, even on my low use board, vBulletin is well worth the money spent on it. And even if your current forum die off quickyl, you have a vBulletin license you can use for as long as you like.
    http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

So if the forum dies out (or PSPs die out) I can just change the whole idea and start again. I like this idea. Im seriously considering it. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I plan on gettin the owned forum, so just to clarify, i pay $160 (that's the price right?) then i don't ever have to pay anythin againg (unless i want to upgrade) and I can keep the forum for ever aswell?
        You get free upgrades for a year I believe, not entirely sure on this because I only have the leased license. :P

Also how much money do you think ill be able to generate with a vbulletin..through ads i think is the main way.
        I run kontera in-text ads on my site and I get about a dollar a day (365 a year :P).

Comment

Some forum owners make hundreds of dollars a month on ads.

And yes, you're able to run one instance of vBulletin per license, and switch it between domains any time you like. You must completely remove it's data from a domain before putting it on another, though.

Comment

$160 for a lifetime license, currently $30 for renewal fee if you wish to upgrade outside of the first year.

One license per domain. If you want to change the domains 100 times a year...feel free..(but it will be costly )

Best forum software on the market. You can make some serious cash from your site if you do it right.

All the best,
            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
              One license per domain. If you want to change the domains 100 times a year...feel free..(but it will be costly )
              From what i understand is one license per INSTALLATION. You can have 100 doimains ponting to the same isntalation as long as users dont see different content when coming from the different domains (different forum feeling)

Personally, I think any stage is good to upgrade to vbulletin. Me, however, I switch when my forum became to big to work properly on PNphpbb... After the initial hazzles I concluded it was the best money i've spent ^^

The problem with switching later is that it will be a big change for stablished members. I did that and it took me a long while (about a month) till every body was more or less happy, since it tends to be a big change from one plataform to the next. But then my users are vbulletin illiterate (mainly phpbb users) so changing to vb took them longer to adapt xD now they are happy and glad though the advantages are really great

Regarding the 160$ it costs, In my perosnal opinion is the best money i've ever spent buying anything. It simply pays of due to its quality ^^
              Mods generally dont need to change files so when upgrading you don't have to re-edit any files
              Templates can be accesed through the admin control panel (not stored in file on the ftp)
              Default hooks on templates means many modificatiosn wont require you to edit templates
              Phrases make it easy to translate to other languages
              Impex works great to move from one forum plataform to another (phpbb to vb) without any headache
              The CSS options are easy and effective to use
              The AJAX makes the forum more interactive (quick replying for example doesnt require you to reload the page)

To be frank the only 2 things i dont like (and i manage) is that HTML can't be anabled by usergroups and the way forum permisions works takes me ages to set up. But then that's just me and probly wont affect most people ^^

And the best part of all is the secuirity ^^ the peace of mind it you get from the threat of not being hacked is incredible. The captcha (the image when you register) actually cannot be read by bots if set up correctly no spam should get through ^^ and even if it does the future 3.7 will incorporate some nice delete spam features
              "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it!' -Team Skunkworkssigpic
              "I was a Hidden Treasure and loved to be known. Therefore I created the Creation that I might be known"

Comment

Also I NEED to know, if switchin from phpbb will ALL my files that have been hosted on the forum move aswell?

Comment

Originally posted by se_p800 View Post
                  Also I NEED to know, if switchin from phpbb will ALL my files that have been hosted on the forum move aswell?
                  Im talking about attachments in posts. If I switch from phpbb to vbulletin will they still be there? Sorry to double post but im sure this is an easy question to answer if someone reads it and I need to know ASAP.

Comment

You should be able to import your attachments.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

the impex system allows you to import all attachments if i remember correctly, havent touched it for months but i remember when i converted from smf, everything was fine
                      Gamers Forum | Cheap VPS Hosting
                      Custom Computers and Servers | Arcade29

Comment

Even if your forum were smaller than that, transfering now would prove to be a good idea. Switching your software base after you have a lot of members is messy, you'll spend hours on support, on explaining your users your new features, and on introducing the forums and solving problems
                        CemZoo Wiki - The complete anime encyclopedia
                        CemZoo Foros - Spanish Anime & Gaming Community (also browse our archive)

Comment

Thanks for the info. I really would buy a vbulletin now, but I have only raised $70. I have 12 watchers on an ebay item with 47 still available, 3 days to go, $20. So if hald these watcher buy the item ill be set to go within 3 days

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X