Convert from SMF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert from SMF

I have a forum that's currently using the Simple Machines forum, is there a way for me to convert my forum to Vbulletin ?

If so can I please have this converter to test if it'll work or not :P

Also is there a way to bridge VBulletin with Joomla ? If so is this stable ?

Thanks
    Last edited by losedude; Sat 8 Dec '07, 2:22am.

Yes there is. Yes it works. It's called Impex, and it will be available once you purchase a license.

Comment

Is there still the issue with Impex importing user passwords from SMF?
      Boards IrEland
      TopLists-add your site

Comment

well there is a vBulletin-Joomla bridge over at vBulletin.org called vJoomla but it's still not stable

Comment

Originally posted by Beller View Post
          Still? There will always be, with SMF and various others too. Due to the fact ImpEx can only import passwords where they eithe A) use exactly the same hashing style, OR where they only hash using md5 once. SMF hashes passwords using sha1 which is where the problem comes from.

Either way, importing where passwords cant be imported can be gotten around using reset password system built into vBulletin assuming your required email addresses.

At the end of the day though, having to reset passwords is outwheighed by the benefits of converting to vBulletin.

As for having the convertor ot test, that's simply not possible as the convertor and a vBulletin installation are required, which requires you to be a licensed member. But I can assure you SMF does import into vBulletin without any issues.
          Last edited by Jobe1986; Sat 8 Dec '07, 5:08am.
          http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

It's not an issue. It's just not possible because of the hashing mechanism in SMF.

Comment

when you convert vbulletin to SMF (A FREE BOARD) with the FREE converter tools offered by SMF all passwords are kept

thats pretty lame in my opinion and that plugin to save passwords on converts should be put on overhaul

we should never ever have to ask users to reset passwords if they dont want too

also you lose forum activity because some people think their account was lost and never come back, despite any announcements you post

Comment

Originally posted by l SKN l CHRIS View Post
                when you convert vbulletin to SMF (A FREE BOARD) with the FREE converter tools offered by SMF all passwords are kept
                Thats because SMF actually has code to check the password using a whole manner of hashing systems, from the obvious, to the complex. On matching one of those, the password is then re-hashed in it's own mechanism.

Admitedly, vBulletin could implement such a feature into it's own design too. So bear in mind, it's SMF's core code that facilitates such and conversion, NOT the convertor.

Comment

i know, i was merely making the point that a free board has a conversion setup superior to vBulletin which is not tolerable considering vBulletin is an enterprise

Comment

Not superior. I'd prefer vbulletin's hashing mechanism any day.

Comment

i dont, lost passwords is a big problem when you run a forum and are looking to convert

Comment

Ok lets try not to turn this into a "which is better" argument please?

Comment

i dont, lost passwords is a big problem when you run a forum and are looking to convert
                          Not if your users actually like your forum. Been there, done that.

Comment

ImpEx dosen't do this as it would require a modification of a default install and it is a primary requirement that ImpEx doesn't do that.

Firstly it protects the vBulletin database, secondly it imports.

There is talk and design for a plugin that will take care of this in the short term.
                            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I downloaded ImpEx but I can't find any instructions. What folder is it to be uploaded to and then what do we do?

Thanks,
                              Michelle

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X