Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When exactly is 3.7 going to Release?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I wouldn't take it to heart Steve - it seems these negative comments are coming from people with relatively low post counts. It wouldn't surpise me if they are additional accounts, or trolls even. There will always be members to put these people straight.

    Us loyal, more mature users are very happy with how the team have been putting extra time in to tweak 3.7
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

    Comment


    • #17
      it will be released when the bugs are cleared up.. the public beta should be available soon.. im not sure the exact time.. but i can wait..

      Comment


      • #18
        I know those of us with "big" boards are so looking forward to upgrading along with the ones with a lot of hacks. Not to mention those with multiple.

        p.s. don't groan to load, I can hear you.
        "You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me."

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Razasharp View Post
          There will always be members to put these people straight.
          I must have replied at least 25 times telling the impatient ones why it's best to wait and have them fix the bugs and add the new features before its released. It makes me laugh that they are all ready to upgrade to a beta version on live sites! Is it just me or is that a little stupid? I think they can wait to upgrade when it goes gold. I feel bad for the staff b/c its been constant questioning about its release date and then some started a "How this company should work" petition complaining about the customer service. Does no one know the meaning of BETA?????

          I guess everyone wants to run a site like myspace but my god.. Cool down and let them do their work..

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
            And people wonder why the Devs are reluctant to post things like this.

            The Devs have responded to many feature requests concerning the tag system, have fixed bugs and other issues which have resulted in a better product when it is released. It's too bad they are then criticized for using the words 'a few days' and having this held over their head like they have purposely let you down.
            It's all about expectation management, it's a lifelong learning process. To help out, here's a few tips that I constantly remind my staff.

            The reality is, when interacting with customers developers need to be thinking about how to set the expectation.
            • Keep your word and always follow through on commitments and promises. Your word represents your ethics and integrity in doing what you say you will do.
            • Make and meet deadlines. Another persons deadline is usually more important to him than they are to you. By helping to meet another persons requirement, you build a relationship that assures that you can be trusted when in need.
            • Share information. Be open about all issues that do not require secrecy. Information is power, by sharing this information you will often more than likely gain information.
            Personally, I don't care how long it takes, it will be done when it's done and I fully understand that bugs and features take time to add. However that doesn't mean that developers are somehow off the hook in their communication. It's bad business to provide misinformation and potentially provide misleading details to their customers. Especially when you turn around and blame the customer for the developers misleading information.

            But that's just my opinion.
            Last edited by Shelby; Sun 2nd Dec '07, 11:14pm. Reason: * Edited for Content *

            Comment


            • #21
              Here's my opinion also:

              I know that it will be released when it is ready. Fine. I think one way of shutting them up is to show how much percentage has been completed already. Let's say (most likely it is much better to show this to Project Tools:

              3.7.0 beta is 95% completed already. (Based on remaining bugs discovered proportionately to bugs fixed/features added etc etc)

              This is a great figure coz 5% could be finished within a week or so. Saying this, we can estimatedly expect (without asking repeated questions "when") that the beta could be released soon.

              Thanks,

              Comment


              • #22
                Or, more bugs could be found and it would drop back to 90% complete, thus causing the same problem.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                  And people wonder why the Devs are reluctant to post things like this.

                  The Devs have responded to many feature requests concerning the tag system, have fixed bugs and other issues which have resulted in a better product when it is realesed. It's too bad they are then criticized for using the words 'a few days' and having this held over their head like they have purposely let you down.
                  Just ignore those people. There are those of us who are more understanding .

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Shelby View Post
                    It's all about expectation management, it's a lifelong learning process. To help out, here's a few tips that I constantly remind my staff.

                    The reality is, when interacting with customers developers need to be thinking about how to set the expectation.
                    • Keep your word and always follow through on commitments and promises. Your word represents your ethics and integrity in doing what you say you will do.
                    • Make and meet deadlines. Another persons deadline is usually more important to him than they are to you. By helping to meet another persons requirement, you build a relationship that assures that you can be trusted when in need.
                    Few days means "soon" but doesn't mean "less than a week". More so, they've been adding in suggestions that have been brought up, which means more testing and work to be done than just releasing what they had on Monday. The point is, they said a few days which can be longer than a week or two...

                    Few: an indefinite but relatively small number; "they bought a case of beer and drank a few"

                    Now, small could be 1-14 days, as that is smaller than 15 days or three weeks or even a month. So, as it shows, they haven't lied, they just wanted people to know that a downloadable beta is coming quite soon, but not giving word on a date.

                    Unless you are a software developer, you don't understand this side of the market. They could release it now, but it isn't ready. Want all the bugs before they are fixed and before the software is stable enough to test further? That is why developers usually keep dates off from the public. It is better to ensure quality instead of be stressed to release an unfinished product.
                    Originally posted by Shelby View Post
                    • Share information. Be open about all issues that do not require secrecy. Information is power, by sharing this information you will often more than likely gain information.
                    Personally, I don't care how long it takes, it will be done when it's done and I fully understand that bugs and features take time to add. However that doesn't mean that developers are somehow off the hook in their communication. It's bad business to provide misinformation and potentially provide misleading details to their customers. Especially when you turn around and blame the customer for the developers misleading information.

                    But that's just my opinion.
                    They are relatively open to information about the company. If you want 100% information, that is not realistic. They most likely have plenty of concepts that circle around, but do not tell the public. Why? If they tell the public about features or concepts that have been discussed or worked on, those same concepts might or might not make it to release. So, then you have the community getting mad at false information. As such, they only announced ideas/concepts that are finalized as a confirmed feature or so.

                    So, as said, what you're complaining about or trying to inform them of a bad customer interaction, you're also leading them to the problem you've stated.

                    Sorry if my post seemed like I was flaming, which wasn't my intent. Hopefully that is not the vibe you get from this.
                    Last edited by GHOwner; Mon 3rd Dec '07, 12:27am. Reason: Format/Slight Grammar

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Is vB 3.6.8 really so horrible that people simply cannot wait to stop using it?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                        And people wonder why the Devs are reluctant to post things like this.

                        ...................
                        It's too bad they are then criticized for using the words 'a few days' and having this held over their head like they have purposely let you down.
                        They should also have learned to be immune to such things by now no matter how you look at it, no communication is always worse.
                        Baby, I was born this way

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Paul M View Post
                          They should also have learned to be immune to such things by now no matter how you look at it, no communication is always worse.
                          Still Paul, it does get on one's nerves after reading it over and over and over and over....
                          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by RagnarokDensetsu View Post
                            Is vB 3.6.8 really so horrible that people simply cannot wait to stop using it?
                            No, they just want a change

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Paul M View Post
                              They should also have learned to be immune to such things by now no matter how you look at it, no communication is always worse.
                              Agreed.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Rather than start yet another 'when will it be released' thread! I thought I would just add this in here.

                                I understand that no time frames are able to be given at this time. But have been trying to find out what the time frames have been like in the past. Mind you I'm sure I will need to take into consideration the amount of new features/changes this time in comparison to other updates.

                                I'm looking to set up some things on my forums that I can do now, but would be better using some of the new features of 3.7

                                I'm not after any type of info on time frame for 3.7 release (I'm more than happy to wait until its ready ), but would like to know what time release patterns have been like in the past.

                                Like was the last big release/upgrade an 8 month wait to iron out bugs, or more like an 8 week wait?

                                It will just help me in deciding to either wait to set things up (that are not overly important) or go ahead and do it now because its some time off yet anyhow YK?
                                Last edited by Meje; Mon 3rd Dec '07, 2:03am.

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X