Windows Shared Hosting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Shared Hosting?

I've worked with a lot of different message board systems in the past - all the free ones. Now I need a serious message board so I'm interested in running vBulletin on a Windows Shared hosting environment. I have not had the best of luck getting other PHP apps to run on Windows shared hosting in the past. Apps like phpBB always seem to have email problems or other problems that I need to work around.

So my first question is whether vBulletin is coded to run on a Windows shared host without problems.

My second question has to do with the vb_test.php script. I ran the vb_test.php script on my Windows host and it said everything passed except for magic_quotes_gpc. It suggested that I get my host to turn this off in the php.ini file. I don't understand whether this setting would affect the entire server or just my domain. I suspect that if it affects the entire server then my host is not going to want to turn it off. Sorry, but I'm just not that familiar with PHP enough to know the answer to this question. And, if I don't have it turned off will it really cause that much performance problems?

As an end user vBulletin has always been my favorite message board software. Now that I'm looking to run a message board myself I'm interested in using vBulletin and after playing with the admin control panel in the online demo I'm really impressed. But I have a lot invested in my Windows shared host account and can't just move to a Linux box so I need to be sure this will work.

And last - themes - where can I find a source for free themes for vBulletin?

Thanks.

1. vBulletin requires a web server that includes PHP (minimum version 4.3.3) and MySQL (minimum 4.0.16) installed. As long as you choose a host that meets these requirements you will be able to install and run our software. ragradless of OS.

2. The magic_quotes setting is really not important. You will be able to run vB fine either wy.

3. There are a number of free vBulletin Styles available to licensed customers here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95

There are also vB styles available at vBulletin.org:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=161
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X