Hosting Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosting Options?

As this would be my first forum/classifieds/blog site venture, I'm am utterly without experience, and could use any recommendations anyone may be willing to share.

My site will include:

Photo Gallery Program/Script
    Classifieds Program/Script
    vBulletin Forum w/Blog

I'm really looking to get some pointers and suggestions in what type of hosting package I should look for in regards to expected traffic to the site. For example, I have provided info on 3 available VPS hosting packages, could someone please give me a rough idea on the number of members that each plan may have the ability to support:

Plan A Plan B Plan C

Disk Space 10GB 20GB 50GB
    Bandwidth 500GB 1000GB 2000GB
    RAM 256MB 256MB 512MB
    Operating System Linux: CentOS Linux: CentOS Linux: CentOS
    Prog. Language PHP, Perl, Pythn PHP, Perl, Pythn PHP, Perl, Pythn
    Contrl. Panel Plesk 8.1 Plesk 8.1 Plesk 8.1
    Virtuozzo Yes Yes Yes
    Ruby on Rails Yes Yes Yes
    Web Analytics Yes Yes Yes
    Mailboxes Unlimited Unlimited Unlimited
    MySQL Unlimited Unlimited Unlimited
    Domains 30 30 30
    Dedicated IPs 1 2 4

I have two VPS accounts with www.realwebhost.net.
    http://www.realwebhost.net/vps.php
    RAM=512MB
    Bandwidth=275GB
    Diskspace=20GB
    Is more than enough for me.
    I generally have a dozen people at once.
    300 active people.

My install of vB uses 90Mb
    My Photopost has 266 Mb with a lot of photos
    Classifieds uses 12 Mb.

I think your bandwidth and diskspace requirements are overkill unless you really expect a lot of traffic.
    My 318ti.org site uses about 30-40Gig/month.
    ...steven
    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Sharing...

Thanks for sharing your information with me... thats basically what I was looking for. Examples of what others use for their hosting, in relation to their sites, with number of members, etc... if anyone else could share their experience, I would greatly appreciate it as well...

Comment

Don't go with less than 512MB with a forum, even more so if you're relaying images (Apache uses 2+MB of memory for every connection, on top of all web host and more software). You'll get hit will "allocation" issues, otherwise.
        "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
        is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
        ~~~
        Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLM2001 View Post
          Don't go with less than 512MB with a forum, even more so if you're relaying images (Apache uses 2+MB of memory for every connection, on top of all web host and more software). You'll get hit will "allocation" issues, otherwise.
          Thank you for this information as I had NO clue about this, I will definitely do that. At the onset of the sites creation, I believe I will go with plan a,
          although it only provides 256mb of ram, it's only 30 bux a month. After working out all the bugs prior to the site going live, I will then upgrade to plan c as it provides the 512mb ram you suggest, at only 50 bux a month...

So again, i thank you for this information... any suggestions for resources you might recommend for someone in my position...

Comment

Averagely speaking, how much GB Bandwidth would of VPS and Storage would I need if there are 300+ members online at once?
            The Webmaster Community Forum

Comment

At that range it's best to get a dedicated. VPS becomes too expense after 512MB (and some cases, you can get a server at 512MB VPS prices). A server comes with enough bandwidth to keep a 500+ active member forum happy, with some to spare for other uses -- and you'll have a whole hard drive or hard drives for storage and backup.

The best thing about dedicates, is you have complete control, and can scale better with your box as your site grows. So if you're growing fast, get a dedicated ASAP, before faced with a resource crisis (e.g., memory allocation error pages for using up all the resources; and keeping folks out by limiting connections. Things a actively growing forum doesn't need).
              "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
              is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
              ~~~
              Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X