Testing VB while developing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing VB while developing

Hey Guys, I am the webmaster for this podcast show, and I decided to purchase vBulletin to run the forums on the site. My question is this, can we install and develop the forums under a testing directory and then once complete, move it over to the live directory for the fans to use?

I did see a similar forum and yes I will have a license to run vBulletin on the server. Just not sure whats the easiest and quickest way to develop the forums while not allowing or hiding the development directory from the fans. I don't want them to see it being developed.

Any help, advice or suggestions would be great...so I can buy a License ASAP!

Thanks,
    JV

Yes you can have a test board, but make sure it is password protected and in a directory such as /dev or /test

Comment

Cool, so then when we are ready to go live with the forums we move it over to the new directory, or just change the name of the directory and get rid of the password protection? What do you think would be the easiest?

Thanks for the insight.

Comment

It depends on if the "development" forum is going to be running at the same time as a "live" forum.

If so, I'd suggest different databases for the both., and then when you're done developing, take the live board into Maintenance mode, move the files over, change your Database settings to point to the live database, and bring it back out of maintenance mode.

If it's developing before a launch... then I'd suggest just developing in a password protected area where you'll be launching it, and when ready to launch, just remove the password protection and link the forums in

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X