Two Licenses - One Site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Licenses - One Site?

Would there be any problems running 2 separate boards on one site?

I have a free portion of my site, and a subscription portion. I want to start a second board where only the subscriber can go. I know you can create password protected forums but I'm thinking that would be a mess joining databases as my subscription area database on the site is different than the one I use for VB.

It would either be a lot of changes to the board's code to join them, or it would be an administrative headache trying to manage the two different sets of info.

With a new board it would only allow people in who already have a password to the subscriprion area of my site. So is there a problem running 2 boards on one site?

It would be like:

Board 1: www.abc.com/forums
    Board 2: www.abc.com/members/forums

where www.abc.com/members requires a password.

Know what I mean? Thanks

You are permitted to one installation per license. Sicne you have two, you'll be allowed two installations. Being on the same domain doesn't matter as long as you have the licenses.

Also, you could just have the subscription feature of vBuleltin assign them a usergroup with special access to certain forums. Unless you have much demand in it, having two boards, in my opinion, split communities. But, whichever you feel is good for your needs.

So, in general, it would be fine. About the password protection, they say that so NO ONE but the license holder should see the forum, as it is intended for testing only. You can only have one production installation per license.

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103150

Comment

Originally posted by GHOwner View Post
        Also, you could just have the subscription feature of vBuleltin assign them a usergroup with special access to certain forums. Unless you have much demand in it, having two boards, in my opinion, split communities. But, whichever you feel is good for your needs.
        Thanks. The need is there since these are members paying for a service that should not be discussed on the public board. They seem to want to be able to do that.

I believe it would be tough to manage the subscribers using the same board. If someone cancels the website's other service I would have to make sure they didn't have access to the subscription part of the board anymore, etc. I'm thinking it would be easier to pay for a 2nd license.

Thanks again!

Comment

actually, you can view "view" access to a certain usergroup, so if they pay for that subscription, they will see the forum and have access to it... otherwise they will not be aware of its presence...

if you drop the subscription or usergroup of a member, he can not see or access the precised forum anymore... this is permission based...

i think that even if you are interested to have that second license, i would suggest to have a talk with a site manager who is well aware of these features, it would save you time AND efforts...
          oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

You can probably do this with the vBulletin Permissions System, not requiring a second license. The subscription can move the user(s) to a new group or additional group and it can show new forum(s)/category(ies) and when the subscription no longer is active it should move them out of that user group automatically, removing their forum / category permission.

Comment

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I'm not a great vb programmer so I'm not sure how I would automate the permissions from a page outside the board. Any suggestions on a mod, or a place I could get more information - or am I making this more difficult than it needs to be?

Ideally I would like members to have to login to my site's members' area (ie. abc.com/members) then see a link to the "second" board to view it (ie. abc.com/members/forum) - but if a non subscribing member types in "abc.com/members/forum" I want them to see the member's area login page and not the board.

Can I just add a login check within the vb code to accomplish this?

Code:

<?php include("members/session.php"); ?>
              <?php include("members/connection.php"); ?>
              <?php include("members/logincheck.php"); ?>
              Thanks again!

Comment

There is a forum dedicated for modifying vbulletin: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Yes, thanks. I have used them often. Can I ask current VB board owners if any of you use your board within a members only area, and what are you doing to protect it?

In other words, if your board is in an area that I could not access right now because I am not a paying subscriber. Not just to read the posts, but I only want people who have access to my site's members area to access the link to the board. A board within a subscribers' only website. Does that make sense?

If you do, have something like this, is there a mod you can point me to, or a place where I can get info on how to do this?

I would want to get that second board license if this 2nd board can be set up as I describe above.

Thanks

Comment

Isn't it better to have hidden forums where only subscribers can see? It would save you the hassle I would imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by ---MAD--- View Post
                      Isn't it better to have hidden forums where only subscribers can see? It would save you the hassle I would imagine.
                      The problem I see is that it would be difficult to manage the accounts. I have a database that tracks the people who pay for services on my site. I would have to make sure only these people have access to the forums where this service is being discussed.

I'm open to suggestions on how to cross-reference the two different areas (2 databases) which use distinct usernames and passwords.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X