Is it easy to upgrade Vbulletin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it easy to upgrade Vbulletin?

I know in the past I've installed Vbulletin successfully, but I've never tried to upgrade it to a newer version, is this something that's easy to do, or is it a pain in the arse to do?

thanks
    blubster

Very easy.
    I have dozens of mods and hacks and the only thing I need to do is edit some templates.
    ...steven
    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

You will tend to run into problems moving more than point releases if your site uses many plugins (because these large version bumps tend to break 3rd party code, always check with the developer for an updated plugin before upgrading).

Minor updates, such as 3.6.7 to 3.6.8, don't take long and shouldn't cause any headaches (unless you've actually been modifying the php files for vBulletin).
      Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

Most mods do not require file edits so upgrading has been relatively easy. Just upload the files, run the upgrade, maybe a couple of template edits and bingo your done.
        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Like others have said, it's usually a simple process and it's uncommon for problems to arise.

I run a few hacks on my forum and have upgraded several times since they were implemented. So far, there hasn't been any conflicts or problems.

Comment

Originally posted by blubster View Post
            I know in the past I've installed Vbulletin successfully, but I've never tried to upgrade it to a newer version, is this something that's easy to do, or is it a pain in the arse to do?
            Personally, I find the upgrade process to be one of vBulletin's weaker features. It isn't terribly difficult, but I would like to see it as a more automated process that can take account of minor modifications a user may have made on a more automated basis. As it is, an upgrade requires almost as much work as a full installation plus the reconstruction of any special template modifications the user has made.

To be fair, anyone that can install vBulletin can perform the upgrade in a fairly straight forward manner, but it would be nice to see vBulletin move towards a more automated "one-button" upgrade system.
            -Danny
            Danny's Home Page: www.dannyweiss.net
            DC Society of Certified Public Managers: www.dccpm.org

Comment

I do find upgrading vbulletin easy

Comment

Originally posted by jason|xoxide View Post
                You will tend to run into problems moving more than point releases if your site uses many plugins (because these large version bumps tend to break 3rd party code, always check with the developer for an updated plugin before upgrading).
                I'd say you should upgrade regardless. Upgrades don't only give features, some of them I mean, but majority (if not all) fix the software itself. It would be best that vBulletin installations are updated asap to prevent security invulnerabilities. Plugins can be disabled until functional versions are available, since board data is worth more.

Updating vBulletin itself is very easy. If you manually edit the PHP fiels, however, you'll need to reedit them after the upgrade process. Just use the Plugin system for the code editing needs. It'll be less of a struggle.

Updating only updates the software. You'll need to manually update any out-of-date templates after upgrading, if you desire to.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X