Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are security updates free after license has expired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replied
    Originally posted by copiertalk View Post
    There has only been one security update for vbulletin that I can remember that was not free to license holders.
    Yes but it also locks you from using all future security updates, so it's actually not only one.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Mike Warner View Post
    Great, but then you are using IPB, not vBulletin. I know what I would rather use.
    In fact I would probably use UBB.

Leave a comment:

• Mansour_Q
    replied
    Great, but then you are using IPB, not vBulletin. I know what I would rather use.
    Me Two ..

Leave a comment:

• copiertalk
    replied
    There has only been one security update for vbulletin that I can remember that was not free to license holders.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Warner
    replied
    Originally posted by 001 View Post
    Compared to the competition is - IPB's security updates are always free.

Leave a comment:

• King Kovifor
    replied
    Almost all security patches are released for free. Only ones that require updating of most of the package (say 3.6.10) require member area access. And if you have an owned license, you always have access. If you have a leased, you have to pay for it each time.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Expensive? Are you kidding me? In the grand scheme of things, it is practically given away. $60 a year is $5 a month, i.e. $0.16 a day. Is that really that expensive?
    Compared to the competition is - IPB's security updates are always free.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Huang
    replied
    Technically:
    $60 is not a year; its 14 or more months.
    $40 is a year, or to be more precisely put: 12 months and 59 days.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Warner
    replied
    Expensive? Are you kidding me? In the grand scheme of things, it is practically given away. $60 a year is $5 a month, i.e. $0.16 a day. Is that really that expensive?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Yes but what does it mean? My license expired about February. I have 3.6.8 PL2 which means I can not have any future updates unless I pay $60. All recent updates and patches require at least 3.6.10. I think that in such a case when a full update should be made, it should be made available for free since it is a security update.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Originally posted by 001 View Post
    This forum has become quite expensive. It seems I have to pay permanently every year to have the forum secure. This makes it much more expensive than IBP where security updates are free. I think you should release security updates separately with or without upgrading to new versions. I don't care if I will have the newest version, it's the security issue that is important. A 10-year period usage makes this forum's price about $600-800 while others like IBP are about $150. If you have more than one license, this makes the difference even greater. I think I will have to switch to another board if there are no changes.
    Again, as people have pointed out, and as others have:

FOR THE MOST PART SECURITY UPDATES ARE FREE REGARDLESS IF YOUR LICENSE IS EXPIRED OR NOT.

In the history of using vBulletin, there has been NUMEROUS security releases that have been made free. There has only been one instance where the security update was not free and it was simply because the sheer volume of changes made it difficult to provide a patch.

Leave a comment:

replied
    This forum has become quite expensive. It seems I have to pay permanently every year to have the forum secure. This makes it much more expensive than IBP where security updates are free. I think you should release security updates separately with or without upgrading to new versions. I don't care if I will have the newest version, it's the security issue that is important. A 10-year period usage makes this forum's price about $600-800 while others like IBP are about $150. If you have more than one license, this makes the difference even greater. I think I will have to switch to another board if there are no changes.

Leave a comment:

• Fusion
    replied
    True, you would need an active license to access it because a patch wasn't feasible for the fixes it contains.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    No, only patches are free and unfortunately there is no way to patch earlier versions of vB for this.

Leave a comment:

replied
    As far as I can get, the 3.6.10 security update will not be provided for free?

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X