Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are security updates free after license has expired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are security updates free after license has expired?

Are security updates free after license has expired?

You can use the patches in the announcement forums. However, you cannot access the downloads area (Member's Area) with an expired license, being each license is a key to the area.

Comment

At last check, Jelsoft's policy is that security updates are free in the announcement forum. But I think the disclaimer is sometimes in a rare instance you'll need to renew your license due to a flaw being quite extensive. I've yet to see the latter enforced though.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
        At last check, Jelsoft's policy is that security updates are free in the announcement forum. But I think the disclaimer is sometimes in a rare instance you'll need to renew your license due to a flaw being quite extensive. I've yet to see the latter enforced though.
        As demonstrated for the 3.6.6 update, it requires Member Area access. Now, an expired license does not have access to the download area, which I assume the update is in.

I could be wrong, but I believe you have to pay (aka have an active license) even for security updates.

Comment

You'll always have access to security patches, but we don't guarantee that they'll work with every version. So if there's a security patch for your version, then it'll surely work, if it's for a newer version than yours there's a (small) chance that it wont.
          Best Regards
          Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

IPB's security updates are always free.

Comment

Security patches are always free and available at the announcement thread if you are in the immediate previous version, as well as http://members.vbulletin.com/patches.php if you have older versions.

You don't get new features or bug fixes made available in the later versions, but you do get the security issue resolved -- IE: you don't get proper blog support for your 3.6.5, for example, but the security problem in 3.6.6 etc. are resolved.

You can also continue to have access to the licensed area and enjoy all the supprt features (IE: support tickets, support forums, vborg, etc.) free of charge for as long as you have at least one valid license (IE: active owned/expired owned/active leased).
              Best Regards,
              Andy Huang

Comment

Originally posted by GHOwner View Post
                As demonstrated for the 3.6.6 update, it requires Member Area access. Now, an expired license does not have access to the download area, which I assume the update is in.

I could be wrong, but I believe you have to pay (aka have an active license) even for security updates.
                3.6.6 is a Bug-Fix Release. Not a security update.
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

As far as I can get, the 3.6.10 security update will not be provided for free?

Comment

No, only patches are free and unfortunately there is no way to patch earlier versions of vB for this.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

True, you would need an active license to access it because a patch wasn't feasible for the fixes it contains.
                      Toddler from Hell

Comment

This forum has become quite expensive. It seems I have to pay permanently every year to have the forum secure. This makes it much more expensive than IBP where security updates are free. I think you should release security updates separately with or without upgrading to new versions. I don't care if I will have the newest version, it's the security issue that is important. A 10-year period usage makes this forum's price about $600-800 while others like IBP are about $150. If you have more than one license, this makes the difference even greater. I think I will have to switch to another board if there are no changes.

Comment

Originally posted by 001 View Post
                          This forum has become quite expensive. It seems I have to pay permanently every year to have the forum secure. This makes it much more expensive than IBP where security updates are free. I think you should release security updates separately with or without upgrading to new versions. I don't care if I will have the newest version, it's the security issue that is important. A 10-year period usage makes this forum's price about $600-800 while others like IBP are about $150. If you have more than one license, this makes the difference even greater. I think I will have to switch to another board if there are no changes.
                          Again, as people have pointed out, and as others have:

FOR THE MOST PART SECURITY UPDATES ARE FREE REGARDLESS IF YOUR LICENSE IS EXPIRED OR NOT.

In the history of using vBulletin, there has been NUMEROUS security releases that have been made free. There has only been one instance where the security update was not free and it was simply because the sheer volume of changes made it difficult to provide a patch.

Comment

Yes but what does it mean? My license expired about February. I have 3.6.8 PL2 which means I can not have any future updates unless I pay $60. All recent updates and patches require at least 3.6.10. I think that in such a case when a full update should be made, it should be made available for free since it is a security update.

Comment

Expensive? Are you kidding me? In the grand scheme of things, it is practically given away. $60 a year is $5 a month, i.e. $0.16 a day. Is that really that expensive?
                              Mike Warner
                              MIGWeb - a Vauxhall Site for Enthusiasts of all Vauxhalls

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X