Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transition of ownership of forum

Hello,

My firm has been given control of an existing website which has a Vbulletin forum installed (version 3.5.0). From what I understand, we are going to have to buy a new license in our company name. Then do a backup of all the existing posts, threads and members. Then once the new license is installed, we can upload the old data again into our new license. Does that sound correct?

Even though the company gave us the Vbulletin license details and we can log into the members area, we cant make any changes as the Customer Details email address is no longer valid and would go nowhere. At this point, we think we need to just backup the files, delete the entire installation via the FTP access and start fresh.

Thanks for any help.

BizWiz

The owner of the license should start a support-ticket requesting the transfer of the license to you. If the transfer is granted you will be issued your own unique login-details.
    Toddler from Hell

Comment

Well, we now own all their business assets including trademarks, IP, websites, domains etc. But, they did not transfer the license to our firm before abandoning their post so this is not possible.

I will have to do a fresh install and purchase of license from what you are saying.

This may raise another question. If the old license is associated to the domain, can we install a new license to the same domain? Again, the previous owners are not contactable to make any license changes to the old license.

Comment

If you can't transfer the license over, you could decide to purchase a new license. You can then get the latest version files, upload them, and run the upgrade.php file.

Comment

Ok. thank you that sounds fine and its what we expected.

Will this mean we will have 2 installations the old and the new on the same server, run the upgrade.php and then delete the old installation once the new license is installed?

Could you run through that process so we understand it? or is there a help section on that somewhere already written?

Appreciate the fast response!! awesome

Comment

The staff can confirm or deny this, but you should be all set if you replace the old 3.5.0 files with the current files your license grants you access to download, and simply run through the upgrade. There's no need for 2 installs unless you are actually moving the database from their server to yours. I'm assuming you already have the 3.5 version running at your end.
            Toddler from Hell

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X