Just Purchased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Purchased

I just made my purchase. I thought I could do the installation myself, but I can't. Therefore, I am going to get the Professional Installation as well.

Will I be able to edit skins, etc? Also, my website has an "opening page" and you will have to click on a link to get to the forums. Will this be a problem?

I know nothing about how the software works.

Thank you!

You can purchase the installation from your member's area or ask for help for the installation if you just need some guidance.

You can edit the templates within the Admin CP once the software is installed. You will need to know XHTML to do this though.

There is no issue if you have an opening page. vBulletin can handle that.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by greenleetileco View Post
      I just made my purchase. I thought I could do the installation myself, but I can't. Therefore, I am going to get the Professional Installation as well.

Will I be able to edit skins, etc? Also, my website has an "opening page" and you will have to click on a link to get to the forums. Will this be a problem?

I know nothing about how the software works.

Thank you!
      You can install this yourself. You really can. (Of course, why did you spend $160 on something you can't use in the first place?) Seriously, there's nothing wrong with the professional installation, but to me, it's a waste. It really isn't difficult to install vBulletin. Did you read the included manuals?

Do you have your own web hosting?

Do you know how to upload files to your web space?

If you have both of these, than you are likely 99% capable of running vBulletin. (The only caveat would be if your web space has PHP/MySQL. That is something you can ask your hosting provider.)

To install vBulletin, all you do is upload the files and then run the installer, which is done entirely on the web. It's like filling out an online form. All you need is a MySQL database (your host can set this up) and a user name and password to that database. (Again, your host can do that.) Once you have these things, vBulletin installs itself completely automatically. There is literally nothing you have to do, other than click "ok" to go through each step.
      Forums

Comment

Thank you so much for the info. I don't know what Web hosting is. I have a website and I created the first page. I did read the manual and although I am an experienced CP user, it was jargon to me.
        I got to where you upload the files with ftp and never could get a connection. I did download the MySql thingy but that made no sense to me either.

Wish I had the time & patience to learn it, I just don't. I spent nearly 6 hours today and only got as far as the ftp thing and quit.

Thank you again for all your help.

Comment

Just wondering, what hosting company did you go with?

And I don't mean to be mean or anything, but if you haven't a clue what you're doing, why did you pay for web hosting in the first place? What do you intend to do with your space?
          Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz View Post
            Just wondering, what hosting company did you go with?

And I don't mean to be mean or anything, but if you haven't a clue what you're doing, why did you pay for web hosting in the first place? What do you intend to do with your space?

I use Homestead for my websites. It is only $2.00 a month to add another website, so it was no big loss of money.

I heard VBulliten was very easy to use. I build my own websites through Homestead so I figured when they said easy, it would be as easy as "copy & paste" html into my website builder.

I just want a discussion forum. I have the website secured, I just need to files uploaded to it.

There is not much I can't do with a computer or building a website, but reprogramming php files, uploading to MySQL & proxy server settings are not something I am use to doing. And I don't have time to sit for hours upon end learning it.

Comment

I use Homestead for my websites. It is only $2.00 a month to add another website, so it was no big loss of money.
              Do yourself a favor and buy some real hosting.... and homestead isn't it.

If you can afford vBulletin then you can afford real hosting elsewhere.

Comment

Where do I buy "real" hosting? I have no clue what to even look for. What about Go-Daddy?
                Thanks

Comment

GoDaddy is alright, although I use and recommend Site5.

BTW... You might be better off with a free hosted solution like ProBoards. You don't sound like you quite understand how something like vBulletin is installed. You can't just copy/paste some HTML, you have to run an installation script.
                  Forums

Comment

Where do I buy "real" hosting? I have no clue what to even look for. What about Go-Daddy?
                    Thanks

Godaddy is okay for a beginning community, most don't like it though.

I recommend Hostgator, A Small Orange, Liquidweb, Site5, mediatemple and even dreamhost (when they are up, they are as good as any other host. and I have experience a 100% uptime with them for months at a time.)

I am personally on a hosting plan with liquidweb.

Comment

Thank you for your help.
                      I have gotten to the installation where my files have been uploaded to my website.
                      So, I will try to go ahead with the installation myself.
                      I am at the point where I type in http://www.mywebsiteaddy.com/forum/install/install.php

I get an error message telling me the page is not found? I can type in my website in the search box and my site appears.

Thank you again.

Comment

To get vB support on these forums you first need to be a licensed customer and register for Priority Forum Support. To do this, please go here:

http://members.vbulletin.com/membersupport_priority.php

...and enter your email address in one of the boxes. You'll need to have your customer number and password to access the page.

Once you've done this, please post in the appropriate support forum for your version.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Comtech View Post
                          Do yourself a favor and buy some real hosting.... and homestead isn't it.

If you can afford vBulletin then you can afford real hosting elsewhere.
                          What's wrong with homestead, if you don't mind me asking. I'm in the middle of building a website on there. I choose homestead b/c you don't need to be a web programmer/developer (which I'm soooo not) to build a nice looking site.

Is there something I don't know about the quality of homestead?

The reason I'm here, too, is that I want to add a vbulletin forum to my site, but I've heard that homestead and vbulletin aren't compatible so it will have to be hosted elsewhere... I'm not so sure how I go about that so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X