Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phpBB to vBulletin?

Hello,

My web host provides phpBB free of charge. What does vBulletin offer that would make me consider paying for it? I'm open to the notion of buying vb if it's worth it so the more detail the better...

Thanks very much,
    MB

Support, Security and Stability.

Does your hosting provider provide 24 hour support for the third-party applications it provides? Most don't. You would have to get support from phpBB and since it is a hobby for most of them, it isn't guaranteed.

vBulletin is more secure out of the box with advanced image captcha routines, functionality to help you control spam and double-hashed passwords that can't be brute forced.

Stability. vBulletin powers some of the largest forums on the Internet without you having to learn PHP programming and customizing your software to allow for this. It also provides the widest range of features for your use. If the default features are not enough, you can customize the software through plugins without ever touching a line of code.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks Wayne. One more quick question: phpBB can integrate with Coppermine image gallery (same user db, etc). The integration is a bit flaky and Coppermine really isn't a winner, but do you know if there are any plug-ins for vb that allow users to create and share their own image galleries? That might clinch it for me...

Thanks again.

Comment

There is photo post...not sure if this is exactly what your looking for though.
        http://www.photopost.com/

Comment

There are a number of photo gallery plugins available among the hundreds at www.vBulletin.org. I even believe there is one for Coppermine.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Working...
          X