No announcement yet.

IPB 2.3.x conversion before purchasing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPB 2.3.x conversion before purchasing.

I tried converting my IPB 2.3.x database to the latest version of vBulletin with a stolen copy on my PC, but I had no luck. One thing is users resetting passwords...I have 800 members, and I cant have all of them reset their pass just for their account to work, and such. Can someone help here? I have alot of threads/topics to convert along with ~800 members from IPB 2.3.x and want to convert to vBulletin. Thanks.

First you will need to purchase a valid license.
    Then you can open a support ticket
    ???
    Profit!
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Yes, but If they can't fix it and I paid $80/$160 (or whatever the price is) for a license, I can't get a refund and won't be worth it considering i still have my IPB license...

Comment

Using pirated versions of vBulletin is illegal. Please delete the illegal software.

As for password; because Invision uses a different method of hashing their user passwords, there is no way to convert it. Same thing going other way around as well; you can't import vB passwords to IPB because of the hashing.
        Best Regards,
        Andy Huang

Comment

So nothing can be done eh? I can't like convert it to phpbb, and back or something?

Comment

You need to purhase a license to get support.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Like I said, I don't want to waste money on a license, and don't get what I expected.

Comment

As already stated, you wont get support without a license.

As for importing, there is nothing wrong with having to reset passwords using the forgot password system in vBulletin. There are very few forum packages out there that you can import from without losing passwords. The ones that you can import from all use basic md5 hashing on the password with no salt's or anything like that.
                http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

Help

I could not post a new thread in to the correct forum so I have come here.

I have invision Powerboard forum and gallery linked with joomla.

What I need to know is can I import my Gallery photos in to VB which is the software my new partner uses without having to to tranfer them and make the galleries again.

ps he already has a gallery that I dont want to disturb when I add my photos to it.

I then plan to install dolphin social networking software and a joomla bridge plugin will all that work??

ps I am not really any good at coding but I do know how most forum software works.

thank and I hope you can help

Comment

Sorry but since vB does not include a Gallery at this time, that info cannot be imported.

As fort queestions about plugins, you should ask in the Pre-sales forum at the vB mod site: www.vbulletin.org.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by impuLsive View Post
                        Yes, but If they can't fix it and I paid $80/$160 (or whatever the price is) for a license, I can't get a refund and won't be worth it considering i still have my IPB license...
                        Dude - why are you downloading illegal software and then proclaiming to the world that you did such a thing? That is stupidity.

To answer some of your questions as running a pirated vBulletin should not be a proper reason to not discuss issues that would normally be discussed with other potential customers.

vBulletin will not convert the passwords from Invision. All of your members will have to reset their passwords.

All of your threads and posts will convert without a problem. Until vBulletin can import passwords as well - I would not recommend them since you have 800+ members, and a majority of those may not want to go through the hassle of resetting their passwords.

Comment

Originally posted by Discussions View Post
                          Dude - why are you downloading illegal software and then proclaiming to the world that you did such a thing? That is stupidity.

To answer some of your questions as running a pirated vBulletin should not be a proper reason to not discuss issues that would normally be discussed with other potential customers.

vBulletin will not convert the passwords from Invision. All of your members will have to reset their passwords.

All of your threads and posts will convert without a problem. Until vBulletin can import passwords as well - I would not recommend them since you have 800+ members, and a majority of those may not want to go through the hassle of resetting their passwords.
                          vBulletin, impex really, won't be able to import the passwords because of the method used to hash them. Resetting passwords is fairly trival if your members keep updated passwords.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                            Resetting passwords is fairly trival if your members keep updated passwords.
                            I actually agree Zach. However, there are a lot of inidviduals who are shall we say - lazy - and wouldn't reset their passwords... I have noticed that several times on communities not ran by myself. Some feel it is an added piece of crap that they shouldn't have to go through.

If you do have a very popular community and a lot of active members, then I say go ahead and puchase vBulletin and convert. I used to personall send each member an email with the link to reset their password..so it is as easy as clicking a link.

Comment

Being that the passwords are encrypted and vBuleltin doesnt support IPB encryption, the passwords need to be reset. If you fear some members won't go through the trouble of clicking a link and then checking email, I feel they aren't active/supportive enough to bother visiting your forum, if even to reset their password.

From my understanding, everything is ported over. Even if those members don't reset their passwords, their accounts will stay (unless removed by you or by a feature set at an activity setting).

Anyways, pirated versions of vBulletin is strickly against policy. Mentioning it is similar to "Well, I did steal money from you, but can you help me invest it?" You should delete that software asap. I'm sure, if vBulletin wanted to (if they aren't already) investigating you for mentioning that information. They do have your IP, so finding your location is very simple. All they need is the full evidence, which isn't impossible even if you didn't tell them where that board is.

So, uninstall the pirated software and delete any copies now, or you will be liable to a law suite. Don't expect support from here if you do not have a license or pre-sale question. I also suggest you uninstall IPB if it is as well illegal.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X