Can Someone Explain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Someone Explain?

I want to start my own forum. I dont mind paying so far VBulletin seems to be the best. But I dont understand this is not all I have to purchase? Can someone explain to me what else is required and why? I read through the manual and some other post and I guess I just dont get it.

Thanks for the Information!!

Well all you need is a domain, hosting, and a licensed copy of vbulletin to run a forum

the vbulletin comes with 2 plans
    85$ for a leased licensed, then it's 85$ to renew it.. You must renew this to keep it on a live site.
    or
    owned for 160$ and only 30 or 35$ to renew
    You don't have to renew this one to keep it on your site, just to get updates..

cheers
    -- Web Developer for hire
    ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

Basic steps.

1. You would need a vBulletin license (I suggest the owned license)
      2. you would need web hosting so you can put your website/forum on there. Just google for "web hosting" and you will find a lot. But I would recommend lunarpages as they are good. Most web hosting now let you register a domain name for free, sometimes for life but I would probably avoid that and go register at namecheap or godaddy.

3. After you sign up for web hosting, you need to install your forum on your server.

4. After that, you need to do some web advertising to get people to visit. (this is probably the most difficult part, IMO).

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by pk698 View Post
        4. After that, you need to do some web advertising to get people to visit. (this is probably the most difficult part, IMO).

Hope this helps.
        yes,2 years ago i did a forum by phpbb,but no people visited it just spam,finaly i gave up,but now i wanna start again.
        Good luck!
        Last edited by jdjewelry; Mon 10th Sep '07, 8:15am.

Comment

So if I already have my own website I can just attach the forum to that?

That would be awesome!!

Comment

If you can run PHP 4.3.3 and MySQL 4.0.16 then you can run VBulletin, no problem. Most users make a folder named "forum" or "community" and run it from there. There's an online manual to help you, and staff here as well if you need a hand.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X