Installing vBulletin to a PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing vBulletin to a PC

Can vBulletin be downloaded to a PC so that I can get familiar with the functionality and populate the topics before uploading to my website? If so could someone please explain to me how I would do this or direct me to the appropriate support area.

I have general computer knowledge and no programming experience so your patience and assistance is appreciated.

Cheers!!

You are permitted one test-installation per license. This installation can be on a remote host or locally on your PC. It will require a properly configured web-server with the minimum required versions of PHP and MySQL installed, as described here.

Before you buy your license, I suggest you spend some time with the Admin Demo so you can get a feel of what vBulletin can do.
    Toddler from Hell

Comment

I think Scraps meant can he buy the license, download it, then install it locally on his PC before uploading it to the web and making it public to the world.

This can be done, but you will need to download some extra programs (not affiliated with vBulletin) to allow you to mimic a MySQL/PHP server as these scripts wont run on a basic PC.

I cant remember the program names, but will do a search for you.

Comment

you should not run a webserver on your personal computer why not ? because it opens the door to your desktop and some things that might happen you're not gonna be happy with ... Windows is not designed to run webservers

Comment

It would perhaps be easier just to install eg. Apache , PHP and MySQL. All come with Windows-versions.
          Toddler from Hell

Comment

Originally posted by DelphiVillage View Post
            you should not run a webserver on your personal computer why not ? because it opens the door to your desktop and some things that might happen you're not gonna be happy with ... Windows is not designed to run webservers
            Sorry? A Properly configured web-server can run as stable and secure as it can on eg. linux.
            Toddler from Hell

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion View Post
              Sorry? A Properly configured web-server can run as stable and secure as it can on eg. linux.
              Not to mention as far as I know the majority of users run behind a firewall/router of some kind which has incoming connections on port 80 blocked by default.
              http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

You can easily run vBulletin on your home PC using free programs, such as XAMPP or WAMPP, which bundle and set up the MySQL, Apache, and PHP for you. You then have a htdocs folder into which you may install vBulletin to familarize yourself with how it functions. Either is very easy and painless to install. I do, and have run both on various of my personal machines for testing updates and edits to our actual Forum software. None on my versions are open to the net.

Unless you have knowledge about personally securing a "server" open on the net, I would strongly recomment that you NOT consider opening a server on your home machine open to the web. The "risks" of insufficient security knowledge FAR outway the money you might save on a trustworthy ISP. But it's your choice.

Regards,
                Slappy

Comment

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to respond.

Cheers!!!

Comment

Originally posted by slappy View Post
                    You can easily run vBulletin on your home PC using free programs, such as XAMPP or WAMPP, which bundle and set up the MySQL, Apache, and PHP for you. You then have a htdocs folder into which you may install vBulletin to familarize yourself with how it functions. Either is very easy and painless to install. I do, and have run both on various of my personal machines for testing updates and edits to our actual Forum software. None on my versions are open to the net.

Unless you have knowledge about personally securing a "server" open on the net, I would strongly recomment that you NOT consider opening a server on your home machine open to the web. The "risks" of insufficient security knowledge FAR outway the money you might save on a trustworthy ISP. But it's your choice.

Regards,
                    thanks, it helps a lot.

Comment

I also recommend you to take a look at xammp lite, it's a package that you can download, unzip, run and delete in a glance.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#646

XAMPP Lite is a very reduced version of XAMPP with Apache 2.2.4 + PHP 5.2.3 + MySQL 5.0.45 + phpMyAdmin 2.10.3 + OpenSSL 0.9.8e + SQLite 2.8.15. For lovers! For the lite versions exist no upgrades or addons. XAMPP Lite is an only "Take-Run-Delete-Forget-it" package.
                      also take a look at the security pages, it will give you some advices on how to make your installation secure (I don't know if it is also available for the lite version)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X